Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
I've used SFML, and if you can learn either C++ or a language that it has bindings for, then you definitely won't be disappointed. It's extremely easy to use, and it can do a lot.

I would suggest learning C++, though, because it's quick, powerful, and it would be useful for a lot of things. C++ will get you a lot farther in the programming world than Python will. There's really no need at all to learn the winAPI side of Visual C++. It's a pain in the backside, unportable, and you don't really need it. Just learn the basic C++ syntax, and you'll be fine to go ahead and start learning the API for SFML, wxWidgets, or anything else that uses C++. Here's a good web site that teaches C++ syntax, if you're interested.
I have decided to use SFML and C++. I've been reading up the tutorials and whatnot. I really like how easy it is to create a window and add images, sprites, etc. Luckily, I have taken a semester of C++ this year and have a reasonable understanding of the basics. We left off at pointers (I think?). I still have my book though, and I've started reading the parts we did not cover. Thanks for the link, it will be a good refresher at the very least.