Thread: Printer not working

Beans

Printer not working

Hello all I have a Brother DCP 385C printer/scanner; a Compaq Presario desktop PC and Samsung R530 laptop (both now running ubuntu 12.04. Anyone any ideas for getting my printer working, I have been to Brother website and they have no drivers (they have one for Debian 4 but software centre would not load reporting it to be a poor package. Just a niggling little problem I hope?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Printer not working

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjack08 View Post
    Hello all I have a Brother DCP 385C printer/scanner; a Compaq Presario desktop PC and Samsung R530 laptop (both now running ubuntu 12.04. Anyone any ideas for getting my printer working, I have been to Brother website and they have no drivers (they have one for Debian 4 but software centre would not load reporting it to be a poor package. Just a niggling little problem I hope?
    See Brother Printer Drivers for Linux

Download and install both the lpr and cupswrapper .deb files.
    Also read the instructions given on the Brother Website.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It might be a lot simpler than that.

What is your printer attached to?

I have a Brother laser attached to my router. To set it up in Ubuntu 12.04, I run Printing, Add, Network Printer, wait a few seconds, click on my printer, forward and OK until it works. Ubuntu looks after all the other stuff.

Beans

Thanks Plucky and Gord; the printer situation is now sorted on both my desktop and laptop with a combination of your advice.

I downloaded the two .deb files as suggested and loaded them via the software centre ignoring the warnings. The lps file has to be run from the Terminal. Then following the advice to plug in the printer when computer on and using the Add Printer option both computers found the new drivers and both now work. Result.