Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mozilla says Microsoft won't allow rival browsers on ARM Windows desktop

Beans

Re: Mozilla says Microsoft won't allow rival browsers on ARM Windows desktop

this makes me think we really need another 1995 to 2002 again to really teach these mungrels

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    If Microsoft is being "anti-competitive" here, then why not got after Google for only allowing Chrome on Chrome OS?
    Well, seeing how the whole UI of Chrome OS is just Chrome running apps, I don't really see how that's a fair comparison. Mozilla is working on a Firefox based alternative to Chrome OS. I doubt if you will be able to run Chrome on it.

The difference is that Windows RT is a complete operating system and IE is just an app that runs on it. But I agree that it has 0% market share and it probably doesn't have much chance in that market, so who really cares?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Good. I hope this sort of thing continues so everyone switches to linux/android.
    Agreed. This is just one more reason why I don't use MS products.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by EnGorDiaz View Post
    this makes me think we really need another 1995 to 2002 again to really teach these mungrels
    I think you meant mongrels, as mungrels isn't a word. And yes, I am the spell-check police. Consider this a warning.

Beans

Before people rush off and storm the Bastille, a competitor press release and Blogs do not a fact make.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If Microsoft is being "anti-competitive" here, then why not got after Google for only allowing Chrome on Chrome OS?
    Because Google has the money to fight it? That's why Microsoft has been going after the handset makers; they know even if they win the court battle with Google, they'll be bloody as heck and ripe for the pickings by Apple, Oracle or IBM (Apple purchases Microsoft... *shudder*)
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Well, seeing how the whole UI of Chrome OS is just Chrome running apps, I don't really see how that's a fair comparison. Mozilla is working on a Firefox based alternative to Chrome OS. I doubt if you will be able to run Chrome on it.

The difference is that Windows RT is a complete operating system and IE is just an app that runs on it. But I agree that it has 0% market share and it probably doesn't have much chance in that market, so who really cares?
    Well, from the way Google markets it, they deem it as a complete operating system. While from a technical basis, it is just Linux plus Chrome, Google has placed a restriction that it won't allow other browsers on it. Microsoft is simply doing the same thing here. Just with Windows plus IE.
    Because Google has the money to fight it? That's why Microsoft has been going after the handset makers; they know even if they win the court battle with Google, they'll be bloody as heck and ripe for the pickings by Apple, Oracle or IBM (Apple purchases Microsoft... *shudder*)
    Well, I'll agree that the patent system at hand is in bad need of adjusting to compensate for rapid technological changes. But Microsoft isn't doing anything different compared to Qualcomm (who makes money off of every smartphone) and other companies that license codecs and such.

My main point here is that things aren't always as black and white. Microsoft has their own invested interests as well as Google and Mozilla, all who will put their own spin on the story. Heck, it was Microsoft that gave us the idea of a free-as-in-money web browser (since Netscape wouldn't ever do that). The way I see it, I don't see how Microsoft is the bad guy here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Good. I hope this sort of thing continues so everyone switches to linux/android.
    Nope, Microsoft will just make their browser "Better" somehow. Can't switch people that easily.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Microsoft currently has a 0% market share on ARM desktops.
    Once they also had 0% of the server market and 0% of the database market. It does not prove anything.

After the deal with Barnes and Nobles there's no doubt that Microsoft is going for a big share.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Nope, Microsoft will just make their browser "Better" somehow. Can't switch people that easily.
    They seriously never have, at all on any version they just keep adding crap and not adhering to industry standards on any api, if internet explorer didn't exist, half of the internet cruft code would disappear, css and html ie compatibility code. we would all get more sleep as html developers and internet users if it was gone forever.

Halo's pretty cool, I like windows too, don't get me wrong. A better designed internet browser is just as important to install on windows as antivirus (to most people under 50) it seems..
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast