Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New ubuntu user - some questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New ubuntu user - some questions

Quote Originally Posted by flemur13013 View Post
    That's only real advantage Windows has: more and better 3rd-party software. Unfortunately, it's a big advantage.

I don't know anything about Win8, and hope I never do, but it's probably about the same as Win7 but with a different user interface. If you decide against linux, or go dual boot, because of the lack of applications, you might look at the following, which replace the "explorer" windows manager in XP/Win7, and might work in Win8:

- EmergeDesktop: simple, easy to customize, like fluxbox for linux, comes with a terrible default setup that'll make you hate it at first. I use this on Win7.

- SharpeEnviro (or "SharpE"): looks and acts a lot like a standard gnome interface, complete with gnome icons.
    Thanks, I've been looking at gnome3 as I don't think I'm going to like unity after viewing the vids. Of course, the proof is in the trying out.

Gnome3 has a gorgeous UI and I could get well used to that! Must try! Don't quite understand how you can just 'change' your desktop though. Does it overwrite, is it an app? Does it slow things down like adding a launcher does on android phones?

Sam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samwillc View Post
    **edit** is everything done via the terminal in linux? I've noticed most threads include some form of 'fire up the terminal, type in this command...'.
    Not at all, there should be no reason why you should ever have to use the terminal, unless you want to.

It's just easier to give instructions that way and for the people reading them to copy and paste.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Not at all, there should be no reason why you should ever have to use the terminal, unless you want to.

It's just easier to give instructions that way and for the people reading them to copy and paste.
    Thanks. I see. Makes sense. I don't mind using the terminal (powershell in windows). Same thing I presume.

I'm all backed up now, got my ubuntu 12.04 .iso burned to disc and ready for the grand install later this evening. Can't wait to try it! The only thing that bothers me by the look of unity is the minimize/close buttons being on the top left instead of top right, I'm not used to that at all, gonna be some clicking in empty spaces I think. All part of the fun though!

Sam.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am a new convert to Ubuntu. I found the best solution was to run windows in a virtual machine. Such as Virtual box. Easy to use;

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Regards.... Trad

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by samwillc View Post
    ... The only thing that bothers me by the look of unity is the minimize/close buttons being on the top left instead of top right, I'm not used to that at all, gonna be some clicking in empty spaces I think.
    This bothers me too - but luckily it can be changed! Take a look at these instructions; they are aimed at Ubuntu 10.04 but far as I can remember are the same - or very nearly so - for later distros. Basically it just involves opening gconf-editor (usually Alt+F2 then type gconf-editor and hit Run), then navigate to apps/metacity/general in the Registry Edit-like editor, and change the value of button_layout to:

Code:
    menu:maximize,minimize,close
    ... or whichever order you prefer. Sorted!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I found that too.

Only problem is, they go top right, but in full screen, the close/minimise is back at top left! A bit of uniformity is required. For that reason, I am learning to live with it top left!

Sam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12