Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox: No USB devices available

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: VirtualBox: No USB devices available

Quote Originally Posted by ct2034 View Post
    Hey, this is by far no strange question, caue this is actually the case. i am using ubuntu only for about 2 months (again) but i had to update it all the way from 10.10 because of some other strange errors ... :-/
    so, u sggest to install the virtualbox updates for 10.10? could this work? cause actually its a downgrade .. ?
    But thanks for this idea.. i'll try this trmw.
    If you carried virtualbox through the upgrades from 10.10 whenever there is a vbox update you should be informed by VBOXs own update manager and it will -does- state the version you need. In this case the version for 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat).

Good luck when you try it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by westie457 View Post
    If you carried virtualbox through the upgrades from 10.10 whenever there is a vbox update you should be informed by VBOXs own update manager and it will -does- state the version you need. In this case the version for 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat).
    Okay, I tried it. I installed the version for 10.10 from virtualbox.org - and USB works
    But now i get strange error messages from packetmanagement about some dependencies which are not satisfied. and the internal update managment dont shows me new updates, it says it is up to date

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi I take it you installed this version - virtualbox-4.1_4.1.14-77440~Ubuntu~maverick_i386 which is the latest. Also did you upgrade the Guest Additions?

Can you post the output of the two common commands please
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
    I am curious about what the dependencies are.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ppa Oracle VM virtualbox

#sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian
    precise contrib"

#wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...racle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

#sudo apt-get update

#sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.1

Download extension pack and install it.

And YOU have to add ur user to VBOXUSERS.

Are using Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

Beans

I just posted a video how to...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThA9I...1&feature=plcp guest additions installed as well. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by turbos4 View Post
    ppa Oracle VM virtualbox

And YOU have to add ur user to VBOXUSERS.

This did it. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a clean install of Precise 64 bit. I installed VirtualBox 4.1.12 from Ubuntu's repos, together with the Guest additions iso. I've 'added' Guest Additions using VirtualBox. I've also added the corresponding Extension Pack (i.e. version 4.1.12). I'm running Windows XP as the Guest. Everything works (e.g. shared folders, mouse integration) fine except for "no usb devices" both in the Devices>USB menu entry & the icon at the window's base. I have myself included as a user in the vboxusers group. Both the "Enable USB Controller" & "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller" check boxes are set in VirtualBox's Settings>Storage.

I'm baffled. Any ideas please?
    Last edited by johnaaronrose; September 11th, 2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Clean install
    Regards,
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by johnaaronrose View Post
    I'm baffled. Any ideas please?
    Have you created any USB filters in the vbox "Settings" page where you enabled USB? You may need a single "empty" filter to let the guest system identify the host's ports; this should make the list of plugged-in devices available under the "Devices" menu, and checking one of them there should connect it to the guest system.

If you want the device to automatically connect to the guest, bypassing the host entirely, you need to create a specific filter for it by having it plugged in when you create the filter, and selecting that device as the filter's subject. Complete details are in the help file.

I have both situations set up on a number of VMs here, with both XP and Win2K guests, and all of them work as expected. Hope this helps!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have tried creating an empty usb filter with usb stick plugged in but no go. I'm away from home for a week. Will try again when home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, Jim. It worked OK provided that I had the memory stick plugged in when I added a filter & selected the appropriate device.

PS after the hack of the forum, there is no automatic login when I click on the forum's bookmark. Also, the login procedure does not return me to the thread that I was looking at when I want to reply to a post . Is there a cure for these nuisances?
    Last edited by johnaaronrose; September 23rd, 2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typo
    Regards,
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast