Thread: Unity 2D: Launcher does not display when autohide is turned on

Beans

Unity 2D: Launcher does not display when autohide is turned on

I have turned on autohide of Launcher in Ubuntu 12.04 just according to this tutorial:
    http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/...cise-pangolin/

But when Launcher is hidden then I can't display it anymore. I tried to set settings to Low and to High and try to move mouse slowly, faster as possible, to the left site as far as possible, but Launcher never displays.

I have never had this problem in Ubuntu 11.10. How to fix this autohide problem? I have found out many suggestions on web fixing it on Unity, but I am using Unity 2D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unity 2D: Launcher does not display when autohide is turned on

Same here.

I just upgraded from 10.04 to 12.04 and I never had this problem on the older version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I ran across this thread while googling the opposite problem: my launcher stays out all the time and doesn't move. I'm more grateful to have it stuck out than stuck in.
    HP Z400 Workstation, Xeon 3680 hexcore 3.33 GHz, 18 GB ram, 2TB hdd; Windows 10; Ubuntu 18.04/Mate; Deepin 20/Beta (doesn't boot)//,160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Randymanme View Post
    I ran across this thread while googling the opposite problem: my launcher stays out all the time and doesn't move. I'm more grateful to have it stuck out than stuck in.
    you can auto-hide it. As explained here http://maketecheasier.com/autohide-u...tty/2011/04/20 those instructions are for natty, but ccsm is available for all versions of ubuntu (as far as i'm aware of..) so that should work for you

Meanwhile, I gave up on unity and I'm giving Gnome 3 a try...

Beans

@chalkos, your instruction points to Unity (compiz), but I use Unity 2D (see the title of this thread).

@Randymanme, aren't we having the same problem? Launcher is just hidden and it can't be displayed back moving mouse to left site of screen.
    Last edited by abcuser; May 14th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    @chalkos, your instruction points to Unity (compiz), but I use Unity 2D (see the title of this thread).
    my mistake

this one should work for unity 2D (untested) http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-...ntu-11-10-tip/

I just realised that I was having this problem on unity and not unity 2D :\

___
    Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    @Randymanme, aren't we having the same problem? Launcher is just hidden and it can't be displayed back moving mouse to left site of screen.
    My problem was that *somtimes* the launcher wouldn't be displayed, but if I keept moving the mouse to the left side of the screen and going back a few times it would appear.
    Last edited by chalkos; May 14th, 2012 at 09:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want a reliable gui (windowed) way of changing the auto-hide behaviour try using "Ubuntu Tweak", it has several settings for unity 2d.

Also I found that the hide feature is quite area specific in that you have to move your mouse towards the middle of the left edge, too near the top or the bottom edges and it wont re-appear....

Beans

@chalkos, your instruction are for Ubuntu 11.10, I use Ubuntu 12.04. I used 11.10 and never had any problem with Launcher auto-hide. I have tried this instruction but it just does not work.

@drumour, I have tried Ubuntu Tweak and option in Tweak also does not work. I have tried to move mouse to the middle, top, bottom, to any part, moving mouse slowly, faster etc, no success. When Launcher is hidden it just can't be displayed anymore.

Beans

Now I have found out a work-around. If I press <Super> key then Launcher is displayed, but also Dash is started. To overcome this problem I just press <Super> key and hold for some seconds. It is annoying like hell, but I can't make it to work any other way.

I would much appreciate to have any kind of solution to make this Launcher auto-hide work just like it was working in Ubuntu 11.10.