Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book recommendations, please?

Beans

Re: Book recommendations, please?

Quote Originally Posted by cryptotheslow View Post
    I think I lost track typing that - do you want a book or some help?
    I'll take whatever I can get.

(And the command line is not one of my strong suites. I'm a GUI guy. If I HAVE to code I copy, paste and compile. Or better yet, deconstruct something existing that is almost what I want and make a couple of tweaks. )

I appreciate all of the info.

Everybody has given me a lot to chew on. I've got this thread bookmarked and I'll be going through everything closely.

I appreciate the links Ms. Daisy. There's some stuff there I hadn't seen yet. It looks like turning my old doze install into a VM is not going to be a straightforward as I had hoped. But, I'm sure I'll figure it out. I'm really good at troubleshooting.

Since I've never had more than one box at a time I always rip all of the networking stuff out of doze. Why open up potential holes for stuff you're not using? (Besides, it makes the box faster.)

Like I said, I have some cool VMs. (One is a fully functional Ice Cream Sandwich install.) The troubleshooting stuff for how to setup Virtual Box will come in handy, as will the stuff about Ubuntu. I think my biggest “stuck” point right now is the fact that I have no idea where to start looking inside the guest OS's to tell them to start talking to each other. That's why I was asking about a practical guide to mixed network architecture settings.

Getting books is a pain in the neck where I'm at now. We don't have any of the mega-bookstores like I'm used to back east. I called over to the local college about used text books today, but I missed the season. The next turn over won't come until August. I'm going to look around this weekend and see if anybody has a copy of Unleashed. (I hate buying books blind.)

Do you guys have a suggestion for an area of this forum to ask fairly technical questions. I didn't have much luck before over in the general forums. Some place where I can get some help getting in to the nitty gritty of things like enabling hybrid graphics, clocking (not really “over” clocking per se, but that's another thread), cooling policies, recompiling broken drivers, etc.?
    Last edited by computeratin; May 11th, 2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Re: Book recommendations, please?

Quote Originally Posted by computeratin View Post
    Getting books is a pain in the neck where I'm at now. We don't have any of the mega-bookstores like I'm used to back east. I called over to the local college about used text books today, but I missed the season. The next turn over won't come until August. I'm going to look around this weekend and see if anybody has a copy of Unleashed. (I hate buying books blind.)
    IMO you're better off getting electronic books & manuals for computers. Too much changes too quickly for hard cover books to be much use.

However, you need to read Shakespeare in hard cover (but I digress).
    Quote Originally Posted by computeratin View Post
    Do you guys have a suggestion for an area of this forum to ask fairly technical questions. I didn't have much luck before over in the general forums. Some place where I can get some help getting in to the nitty gritty of things like enabling hybrid graphics, clocking (not really “over” clocking per se, but that's another thread), cooling policies, recompiling broken drivers, etc.?
    Best thing is to start a new thread in the relevant sub-forum in Ubuntu Forums. Stick to one problem per thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12