Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Libreoffice, no spell check?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Libreoffice, no spell check?

Beans

As much as I am thankful to the LO team for their much-valued work on LO, I must state that that condition of spell-check in LO is absolutely *insane*.

As someone who has been using various flavors of Linux since 1997, this is the first time that I was tearing my hair out in frustration, trying to install such a basic functionality as spell-check.

Why can't the LO team install one language (say, en-US), by default, and ensure that LO works out-of-the-box with that one language? For users of other languages, it would be clear that they have to install only the dictionaries...not start ab-initio on a wild-goose chase.

cheers and apologies for venting...

s1b
    [Still trying to install spell check on a fresh 12.04 install]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I finally figured it out (with the help of a few comments on this thread ).
    Go to http://extensions.services.openoffic...n/dictionaries, download a dictionary; then in Libre Office go to Tools > Extension Manager and add it into there (you just save the file to your desktop or where ever and then add it to the extension manager).

Beans

In my case the spell-check option to enable my language of choice was not present.

The dictionaries were installed so the problem was with the office programme.

This was remedied by the following :

1. killall soffice.bin

2. rm -r .config/libreoffice/

3. Start Libreoffice & go to Tools->Options-> Language Settings -> Default language for documents: English UK (now with spell check icon)

I hope this helps!

PS: For english uk I have libreoffice-l10n-en-gb and myspell-en-gb installed.

Beans

this so totally worked. thank u so much. i just created an account to thank u back. i was that troubled with no spell checks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12