Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I configure Ubuntu on a virtual machine to let mysql clients talk to mysql on

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I configure Ubuntu on a virtual machine to let mysql clients talk to mysql

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    The default SSH port is 22.

But it's best practice to change it anyway, especially if you are practicing for a production server that will be on the internet tomorrow.

The port setting and other option for SSH are in /etc/ssh/sshd_config if I'm not mistaken (maybe it was sshd.config).
    Changing the port SSH runs on does little for security. It does help with log chatter tho.

The config file for sshd is:
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Re: How do I configure Ubuntu on a virtual machine to let mysql clients talk to mysql

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    The default SSH port is 22.

But it's best practice to change it anyway, especially if you are practicing for a production server that will be on the internet tomorrow.

The port setting and other option for SSH are in /etc/ssh/sshd_config if I'm not mistaken (maybe it was sshd.config).
    thanks loads.

I finally found what the problem was. When I last configured MySQL, and this was on a Windows 7 box, there was a skip-networking flag I could set to false in order to have it listen for connections from other machines. Now, there is a bind-address that has to be disabled in order for networking to be enabled; that was new to me, and not something I'd encountered in the docs I'd read (which may be a question of their vintage).

Thanks again

Ted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12