View Poll Results: Which linux distro for a new user on slightly old hardware?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu 10.04

7 11.11%
  • Ubuntu 12.04

34 53.97%
  • Linux Mint 12

7 11.11%
  • Fedora 16

1 1.59%
  • Other

14 22.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu choice for new user?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu choice for new user?

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I totally agree but try all flavours of 12.04 before selecting one. A USB stick could be your best friend.
    I'll second this; when I set up new computers for my kids last year, I put all 4 major versions of Ubuntu on a USB stick, booted to each one, and let them choose which DE they wanted. One went with Unity, and the other KDE.

Don't overlook KDE; IMO it's actually a bit less resource-intensive than Unity, and far more mature. Kubuntu, MEPIS, or Mint KDE are all good options in the Debian family. It has a pretty familiar feel for Windows users, generally, though it can emulate about any desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I'll second this; when I set up new computers for my kids last year, I put all 4 major versions of Ubuntu on a USB stick, booted to each one, and let them choose which DE they wanted. One went with Unity, and the other KDE.
    I'm glad I read the entire thread before posting . I was going to post the same thing. Let the friend try Ubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04, Kubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 10.04, etc, etc. Then let them decide what they like best. If you show the friend something that needs to be upgraded in a year or a year and a half, let them know the consequences.

A two year old computer could run any of the DEs; however, you won't really know until you have the machines specifications. I have an 8 year-old Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop running Xubuntu 12.04; however, I upgraded the RAM and disk drive.

If you are familiar with VirtualBox and you have a computer capable of running it, you could demonstrate the DEs using multiple VMs before tying them on the actual hardware.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; May 11th, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!

In fact, I think it's the opposite: the installation process for Lubuntu is almost exactly the same as for Xubuntu, Kubuntu, or Ubuntu.
    Things we took for granted in Gnome, can haunt us in other DE.
    The other day I converted from Ubuntu 11.04 to Lubuntu 12.04. That's a real struggle for me to find the way to switch back and forth the sound from my (analogue) speakers to my USB headset. But of course I am just a newbie installer.

Beans

Running Fedora 16 XFCE here. Seems lighter than Xubuntu 11.10, which I ran previously.

I've got my elderly mom on Xubuntu 11.10. Coming from Win XP, she loves it. Snappy on her 8 year-old machine. I upgraded her to 1.2 gigs ram.

Personally, I prefer Fedora. Absolutely rock solid. I can't speak to the new Gnome, but the XFCE version is impressive.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree with the Xfce desktop being not only very easy to adapt to coming from Windows, but also very speedy, configurable, and handsome.

Xubu 12.04 is the fastest and best Xubu yet, and I use it effortlessly on an 8 year old Dell (Celeron) with 512 of RAM! Yet I have all the coolest, latest stuff and an interface that everyone in my house can use without needing "Linux lessons."

Beans
    Hidden!

Probably Xubuntu. Or Fedora XFCE Spin.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't think you can go wrong with 12.04.

Start with Unity and see how she likes it. It might be better for her - Unity is a very "helpful" desktop if she uses its features, and if she doesn't use its better features at least it has big buttons

It's also quite good on laptops due to the overlay scrollbar and the better use of screen space.

If she can't wrap her head around it, then you can fall back on Gnome Fallback. I wouldn't recommend changing to anything non-Gnome; if she sticks with Gnome 3 or Gnome Shell she'll be able to use all the same programs and configuration utilities seamlessly.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Luckily there is plenty of choice in Linux. You can try Pupplu Linux, Debian with XFCE, PCLinux OS and Xubuntu. Which I think is quite light weight and stable. Try a few and see how it goes.

Beans

I've used the setup shown here which uses Metacity on as little as an 1100 mHz CPU w/ 1GB of RAM and it's quite snappy

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 10.10 worked best for me.
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast