Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindle cloud reader for Firefox - how do you get it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Kindle cloud reader for Firefox - how do you get it?

So now we have a Kindle cloud reader on the desktop - for Linux under Firefox at last! http://mashable.com/2011/11/08/kindl...eader-firefox/

Only thing is there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the reader installed from the site from this or anywhere: https://read.amazon.com/about

Anyone succeeded in setting up Cloud Reader under Firefox yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Kindle cloud reader for Firefox - how do you get it?

Looks to me like you can download it from https://read.amazon.com/about as long as your browser is up-to-date....

Beans

Go to https://read.amazon.com/
    Click on "Sign In or Create New Account"

If you have an account, the cloud reader is opened in Firefox to your last read book and page, or the library page of your books, whichever you last exited from. Otherwise create a new account.

Difference from Chromium or Chrome version: in those, the Cloud Reader is one of the apps on the new tab page. No need to go to the website to start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

These URLs correctly point to where you can get the Cloud Reader - but (what a surprise!) the only listed versions are for PC, Android, Mac, Ipad. No Linux. So no go.

Going about it the other way - buying a book at the Kindle store after creating a new account - you get quickly thrown out for not having a 'device or web app registered' so it can know what kind of ebook image is needed. Nowhere in the site or personal account details does it show you how to do so.

This is a big breakthrough and for once we Linux outlaws get in on the act. So how...? I'm on my 7th form email reply from Amazon help desk and can't believe they'd put in $ and time to develop a Linux Cloud Reader then make it impossible to get hold of it.

Beans
    Distro

You dont actually have to download anything. Once you sign in, youre ready to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, whatthefunk, but #2 above applies. When I try to buy an ebook on the Amazon site I get:

"we did not find a Kindle device or reading app registered to your Amazon account for which this content is available"

presumably because I did not get a Cloud Reader from their site, which would leave some sort of cookie or form of record of having got one. Try as I might, there is nowhere that I can register that I am using a Firefox Cloud Reader.

Just for laughs I'll tell you how I hammered away until I finally got an Amazon techie on chat, and asked how. I was escalated through three levels before I was told that there wasn't any Linux/Firefox Cloud Reader or it would be on the site. I sent them the above URLs of their own site which caused much consternation and thumb-sucking but absolutely no progress.

I'm not so young any more and I don't want to spend more of my remaining hours faffing about or I'll do someone an injury...

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm...must be some sort of problem. Its my first time ever using a Kindle product or even buying an e-book. I simply entered in my Amazon login details on the amazon page in post #2, bought an ebook for nothing, and there it was. Does your browser accept cookies?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have cookies on. Its very clear that theres a problem and that problem is nothing to do with Ubuntu, just insanity by neglect on the part of Amazon.

Got an email from Help in Amazon.com that said they'd found the problem! That I was living in UK and therefore it was all their fault. I started up again with Amazon.co.uk and they said it was simple - Cloud Reader is from Amazon.com and nothing to do with them. Amazon.com then said that looking at my account in fact the Cloud Reader is installed (!!!) but that it was registered to my UK account, therefore nothing to do with them.

It's now nearly midnight and I can't get any sense out of anyone so I'm going to bed with a decision - do I have a duty to humanity in general to see this thing through to the bitter end and write a HowTo - or save myself?

Beans
    Distro

When you log into the page above, what do you see? Maybe post a screen shot...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My friend, I really really must get on with my life and catch up a bit.

There's hand-wringing from Amazon tech support but no movement.

I'm at the point where if I could buy an e-book I'd probably be able to use the Cloud Reader but I can't, like above it says I have no reading app registered for it to know what version of the ebook to provide and refuses to go further. There is no way on the site to register. Sales, Tech and everyone else have been contacted with no usable result.

I can't think of anything else to do and am coming to the conclusion that the whole Linux Cloud Reader thing is some sort of publicity gimmick or something.

What else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast