Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: non-stop fan ubuntu 12.04

Beans

non-stop fan ubuntu 12.04

Hi everyone.

I made a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04, and the fan is working all the time.

Also, the temp is a little bit higher compared with ubuntu 11.10.

Installed lm-sensors, and it indicates 55-60ºC. In ubuntu 11.10 it was 48-53ºC, jumping to 60-65ºC when using some heavy apps.

I'm not sure if the problem it's a high temp, or if the fan controller is not working quite well.

It is weird to have that temp variation, since 12.04 looks kinda similar to 11.10

Thanks in advance

PS: lm-sensors says: (high = +80ºC, crit = +85ºC), but this same laptop was cooler with ubuntu 11.10, that's the strange thing.

PS2: Laptop: Lenovo G570, Intel I3-2310M @ 2.10 Ghz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: non-stop fan ubuntu 12.04

Guess that nepomuk is running and indexing your files.
    Let it finish the run. Should be better then (Nepomuk is under KUbuntu, dunno if they use something else for Ubuntu).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Odd, is it possible that you dropped your computer if it is a laptop. If so, then you may have messed up your heatsink.

Beans

@smurphy: Don' think that nepomuk it's indexing any file. Don't know either if nepomuk works (or it's equivalent) under ubuntu.

@iMurshaq: It is a laptop, but that's not the problem. In fact, for a small period, i use Win 7, Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu 12.04, just to test it.

When log in under Win 7, the fan works pretty normal (sometimes really quiet, sometimes kinda fast, specially when playing games or using Illustrator, Flash, etc).

same thing in Ubuntu 11.10. A real quiet fan, until i start some heavy apps.

So, i fell into the fact that something with Ubuntu 12.04 it's not working properly. Don't know if it's the CPU usage, the fan controller, or something else, but some OS behaviour is causing this issue

I appreciate your opinions, and i hope to solve it somehow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well you can always try my failsafe.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

Beans

@iMurshaq: yeah, the whole system is up to date, it's always my first check.

I think (just saying), it could be something related with the fan controller. The cpu temp it's a little bit higher than ubuntu 11.10, but not THAT higher. So, i think the fan it's working at top speed, when it should be working a little bit slower.

Beans

bump

Beans

Same issue on my laptop Hp-DM4 - fan goes up and down a lot more than on my former install (10.10). Nervous noise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is an oddball, but worth checking. Have you checked to see what CPUFREQ setting your machine is set to? You may have to install CPUFREQ-UTILS, but then you can
    Code:
    cpufreq-info
    Don't think you need sudo for that. If it says "performance" in the statement, then the CPU is held to max speed constantly. If it is set to "ondemand" then the machine increases CPU speed as necessary, but is about half speed under normal, non-strain conditions.

Beans

Thanks @TBABill , I installed that package. All the CPU's says: The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use within this range.

So, i think it's set to "ondemand".

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast