Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nokia N900 - anybody own one?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Nokia N900 - anybody own one?

I've known about the N900 for a while, and I've always wanted to buy one just as a toy more than using it as a phone. I like the idea of a completely open source phone OS, and I've heard the hacking community for it is pretty large. can anyone here can recommend it as a cool device to mess around with?
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nokia N900 - anybody own one?

I've had one for two years now. It has been, and still is, a great phone. It is getting a little slow (unless you are lucky to have one that happily overclocks to 1Ghz) and I think many of the n900 developers have moved on.

I love the stylus and hardware keyboard. The camera is fine for quick snaps, and it is a good size, even though it is fairly thick and heavy.
    My wife just got a galaxy note which is much bigger and faster, but I'm still happy with the n900 for a while yet. Android free apps have plenty of ads and by default they seem to want you uploading and downloading data all the time. I can't think of one Android app (or iphone app) that I want for my n900.

The open nature of the phone is delighful and it will make it hard to move anywhere else when that sad day comes. They are fairly cheap on ebay these days, so it could make a good messing about toy.

Beans

What strollerdude said.

If you haven't got one yet, here's my pennies worth.
    I've owned an N900 for just over 2 years now and have no intentions of replacing it, until something else like it comes along.
    Keeping an eye on Jolla Mobile to see what they can produce later this year. Jolla Mobile are a team of ex-Nokia staff (MeeGo developers) who are taking over where Nokia left off with the N9.

Back to the N900, however. I bought it because I knew it was completely open (as in no network crippleware could be installed). Only 1 network in the UK shipped the device (Vodafone), the rest didn't bother simply because they couldn't install their crippleware, Vodafone tried but gave up although they carried on stocking the device. Without any of that junk I get the feeling it's the first phone that I can truly call "My phone".
    I've hacked it and cracked it and it still works great. Had to reflash a couple of times, but it still breathes. I've overclocked it and hacked the DSP so it now plays 720p HD videos. Support is still pretty good via the CSSU team.

They are available on ebay, but you need to be sure you're getting a good device. Ask the seller about any overclocks or hacks that have been applied and make sure it's been well maintained. I've seen one N900 that has been repaired so badly that the casing has been super-glued together after they stripped most of the screws.

Beans

Nope,, I Think for Now the Popular is Samsung Galaxy, but Nokia is Not Bad, I Think that is Rare Phone

Nokia N900 is the most wide distributed phone with a Debian GNU/Linux derivated system firmware, and it was the strong answer from Nokia to Apple and Google, so it caused some panic in Microsoft until this last company reached the Nokia's government.

Nokia N900 was designed on 2008, but latest smartphones still don't have a lot of features available with Nokia N900 if you don't reflash with a GNU/Linux distribution.

The successor was to be "Nokia N9", until Microsoft cut the GNU/Linux development and devices production in Nokia.

Nokia N900 was an expensive device but with a lot of units sold because of the extraordinary product with consumer availability.
    Narcis Garcia

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a n800 and n810, still use them as a portable musik player, few mobile games, checking weather or using as an alarm clock. Nice devices, i assume n900 to be much better devices.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

+1 strollerdude
    I still use the N900 although not as my primary phone (I got an N9). The N900 is the most capable telephone device I've ever set hands on, and is suitably powerful for all tasks.
    Only two negatives: battery life is only ~1 day with medium to heavy usage; micro-USB connector can detach from the mainboard and if you return to Nokia under warranty you'll be lucky to get a like-for-like replacement.

I feel that the Maemo's menu is the best one, and more if you have the catorise package installed, because it's organized like Gnome menu.

And for the moment the Hildon desktop is the only one I've seen in mobile devices where you can see the windows as a normal multitask environment, and being sure if an application is still open or not.
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

I'd rather choose to wait for Lumia 920

Beans

I Think that is Rare Phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast