Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are we tracked by Google Analytics on this forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Why are we tracked by Google Analytics on this forum?

just use the noscript addon and you can stop the script from working
    you can also disable 3ed party cookies under setting and enable do not track
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On topic: I'm not especially fond of Google Analytics either. Why use Google Analytics when you have the option of using open source tools such as AWstats? Yes, Google Analytics gives webmasters some kind of information about the users of their site, but the problematic part is that Google collects and tracks this information as well. So no, this isn't about Ubuntuforums gathering information about us. I don't have any problems with that, you leave this information in the server logs anyway; the problematic part is that every site that uses Google Analytics becomes an extension of Google itself.
    Due to its ubiquity, Google Analytics raises many privacy concerns. Whenever someone visits a website that uses Google Analytics, Google tracks that visit via the user's IP address. If the website also embeds any content from a Google property with which the website visitor has an account, then Google receives sufficient information to identify the user and thus associate the details of the website visit with that user.[23] Google has announced a new privacy policy which will allow Google to specifically identify and track users of any website that uses Google Analytics, if that user is also a user of any other Google product (Gmail, YouTube, BlogSpot,etc) to which the same privacy policy applies.
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Privacy_issues

Sure, there is a small percentage of us who use NoScript, but the majority of people on this forum probably don't. If Google paid sites for using G. A., it would be more understandable for them to do so, because at the moment you are really giving away information about your users to Google for free.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by L3ct3rIII View Post
    ... Or, besides the browser, could we do this on the OS itself? I got interested.
    There's something called the hosts file. That allows blocking of urls "at the OS" level. I don't like the hosts file and don't use it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    ... you are really giving away information about your users to Google for free.
    What information?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    What information?
    I was referring to the collection of IP addresses and tracking. See the Wikipedia quote.

Beans
    Distro

I was referring to the collection of IP addresses and tracking. See the Wikipedia quote.
    So what is the exact problem? I've read enough about privacy on other forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    So what is the exact problem? I've read enough about privacy on other forums.
    Well, privacy is an important issue for some of us.

Beans
    Distro

Well, privacy is an important issue for some of us.
    For everyone. So how is anyone's privacy being violated? I genuinely don't get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Besides using NoScript, you can also install Do Not Track Plus.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just wanted to point out to those of you who are interested, that I created a thread about this in the Resolution Centre: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1976990

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast