Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

I'm excited to see this because valve is currently using the left 4 dead engine to natively run these games in linux the problem here is still going to be anything not made with the left 4 dead engine wont run out of the steam client. all the steam client does is shortcuts to .exe files inside of its file directory. So while valve games will run in Linux that doesnt mean that everything is going to run in linux. It's still awesome to see
    "I invited your friend, the companion cube, but he can't come, because you murdered him."

Beans

EA didn't port The Sims 3 properly to Mac OS X all they did was use a program like wine.So I wouldn't think these would be good ports.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heat33330 View Post
    EA didn't port The Sims 3 properly to Mac OS X all they did was use a program like wine.So I wouldn't think these would be good ports.
    They wont
    "I invited your friend, the companion cube, but he can't come, because you murdered him."

Beans

I thought that Sims 3 worked fine in Wine. it has received gold and platinum ratings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    I thought that Sims 3 worked fine in Wine. it has received gold and platinum ratings.
    Point, missed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Point, missed.
    Not really. I was referring to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by heat33330 View Post
    I don't mind if a publisher constructs a custom wine bottle in order to run their game, as long as the game works. I think it depends on your definition of a "good port." I define a "good port" as "a version of a game built for another platform than now runs flawlessly on Linux," irrespective of how that is achieved.

If your definition of "good port" is "a game that has been completely re-written to run on Linux, along with release of the source code," it is unlikely that we will see many "good ports" of AAA games.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Not really. I was referring to this:

I don't mind if a publisher constructs a custom wine bottle in order to run their game, as long as the game works. I think it depends on your definition of a "good port." I define a "good port" as "a version of a game built for another platform than now runs flawlessly on Linux," irrespective of how that is achieved.

If your definition of "good port" is "a game that has been completely re-written to run on Linux, along with release of the source code," it is unlikely that we will see many "good ports" of AAA games.
    First rule of Game Testing or QA testing nothing ever runs flawlessly, but I kind of get your point. The point everyone else is making is that building a wine bottle does not a port make. Porting something involves modding the code to go places it wasn't originally designed to go. The key there is that it runs NATIVELY. Releasing a Wine bottle is more of a hotfix, and is never the BEST solution, however suits most people and is the easiest.

Beans
    Distro

Sweet! Hope they start giving incentive to devs to port the games to linux too!
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not a big fan of EA's "policy"... but it sure proves how far Ubuntu have come! Been hoping for something like this since the day I started using Linux.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

EA's "support" for Ubuntu is utterly disappointing when compared to Valve's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast