Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

Not sure if anyone has seen but EA have launched 2 games on the Ubuntu Software Center, it's not much but my guess is they're just testing the waters looking to see if there is any potential. Here's the article: OMG Ubuntu
    As the article states "It’s now up to us, as users, to prove to EA that gaming on Ubuntu is worth pursuing" and as a result I have created a thread on EA's forum letting them know how many games I own on Origin and that I am infact an Ubuntu user.

If you own any EA games or would like to see more EA games on Ubuntu please do swing by the thread and leave comment, here's the link: EA Forum
    I did leave this as a reply in another thread but only realised after I posted it that it wasn't in the Gaming & Leisure section of the Forum.

Beans

Re: EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

Is anyone able to actually play Tiberium Alliances? Clicking 'play now' takes me into a loop wherein it asks for login information and eventually delivers me right back to the page with the big 'play now' button.

(Tried on up to date versions of a few different browsers)
    Last edited by earthpigg; May 10th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok I know baby steps here, EA wants to get a feel for the "Linux" Market, but Come on.
    Really?! These games have been on the web for a long time. Talk about a slap in the face to Linux Gamers. And now EA games is trying to sell and "EA Indie Bundle". REALLY?! They are not indie by any standard. I would rather continue playing other wonderful games on USC and Desura and am very excited about Steam coming. If EA wants to make a sale from me, then make a real effort.
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
    Videocard: Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Ram: 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Single
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T Tray

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It is hard to convince any business to port a game to Linux, let alone one of the biggest in the industry.

Electronic Arts would have to invest a considerable amount of money to create a game for linux or even port one. Software Engineers are not cheap, and neither are artists. If you factor that in with the other projects that the company has going on (many, many, projects), then it is reasonable to see why EA is taking it slow with porting a complete game to Linux.

By posting these games, although they are web-based, they are seeing if there is any interest in EA Games at all. If no one will play their web-based games on Linux, or even bother to install them, then they will see no point of porting a game to Linux.

Electronic Arts is a corporation; corporations are created to generate revenue. It is that simple. I am grateful that they at least took the time to do this. If this turns out favorable, then perhaps EA might think of Linux the next time they make a Sims game or any other game.

I for one, am grateful. Besides, Lords of Ultima is actually pretty fun; well, it is fun if you are interested in strategy games and MMOs. I'd suggest that everyone give it a try. It's free; what is the worst that could happen?

Who knows, if enough people play it and actually conduct microtransactions, EA might just decide Linux and Ubuntu are worth the revenue required to port their games.
    Last edited by Carpentr; May 9th, 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Omegus View Post
    Ok I know baby steps here, EA wants to get a feel for the "Linux" Market, but Come on.
    Really?! These games have been on the web for a long time. Talk about a slap in the face to Linux Gamers. And now EA games is trying to sell and "EA Indie Bundle". REALLY?! They are not indie by any standard. I would rather continue playing other wonderful games on USC and Desura and am very excited about Steam coming. If EA wants to make a sale from me, then make a real effort.
    The best way to ensure that the big name publishers come to Linux is to complain loudly if you feel they are not doing enough when they take their first tentative steps. The more negative feedback they can get at the beginning, the more likely they will be to carry forward.

Keep up the good work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I just hope that they can bring some AAA games very soon because if the linux ports of their games sell well and Windows 8 stinks (which it currently does) then we'd have our eternal september (or whatever the usenet people had back then). Linux, I feel, is ready to go mainstream and I think EA needs to rebuild it image. Come to think of it Activision must also do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thumbs down Re: EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    The best way to ensure that the big name publishers come to Linux is to complain loudly if you feel they are not doing enough when they take their first tentative steps. The more negative feedback they can get at the beginning, the more likely they will be to carry forward.

Keep up the good work.
    Nice and snarky. YOU keep up the good work!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's pretty cool to have a big publisher putting stuff out there; EA is one of the few companies I won't buy games from any more, but it's still nice - HTML5 links or otherwise.

Beans

This is something i am very interested in. for the fact I have some really weird BSOD with Windows 7 HP 32bit. An i am thinking its time to upgrade to Ubuntu which i have running at work and my net book. that i use for automotive diagnostics.

Beans

Have you realised this thread is one year old and the only thing they did was offering two BROWSERgames?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast