Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Two free EA games land in software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Two free EA games land in software center.

I'd play them but they aint in the software centre on my machine !!

I'll have to use that link Stinkeye posted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Good, then think before you make misleading statements. Neverwinter Nights for Linux exists. MMO engines for Linux exist. Companies that make Linux games exist. If you want to support Linux gaming, then instead of falling for cheap tricks by EA, go buy from companies that already support Linux - there are plenty. You want what you want, but you won't get it by playing some flash games.

You are effectively assuming every Linux users who download those EA games DON'T do the same to indie developers. I'm not an EA fan; I couldn't care less about EA's doings, but at least be a little open-minded.

This is why people are afraid of geeks. When you see someone handling free rice to poor people, normal people will take it, while geeks will start to complain about how bad the rice tastes (and I agree with that, but I don't look at it with a negative attitude)
    (feel free to flame me to death - this is what the Internet is made for)

Beans

I'm too lazy to draw a rage comic, but on this occasion it would go something like this.

Dabbled with Linux

Got flammed for no reason

FUUUUUUUU
    Ubuntu community needs:

1. To be more positive. Nobody in EA is out to hurt you.
    2. To stop being so paranoid. Big companies don't exist to be evil, the exist to make money. Most people who work for these companies justvwant to make a reasonable living.
    3. Revisit what the word Ubuntu actually means.

Spoilt children cry when they don't get what they want, sensible adults learn to use what they have and maximise the benefits of that.
    Last edited by temp2012; May 9th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We'll ee wher this goes, and I'll remain hopefull I guess...... Just remember EA is a games company that onl cares about money and whether here is a market for these types of games on Linux remain to be seen.... I just hope that this support testing wasn't too soon...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Blimey. When I posted this I did not anticipate so much negativity. Any who another take on it.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/05/e...ch+Drive-in%29

Also from Jono Bacon http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/05/08/...es-and-ubuntu/
    Last edited by philinux; May 9th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Blimey. When I posted this I did not anticipate so much negativity. Any who another take on it.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/05/e...ch+Drive-in%29

Also from Jono Bacon http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/05/08/...es-and-ubuntu/
    Don't get me wrong if this does work out.... it'll be correcting one of the major things that I think have been holding Linux back.... games...

And I do encourage everyone to donwload both of those EA titles....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't really know a heck of a lot about which game companies are developing games for Linux, i admit. But i do know that EA are one of the biggest publishers on the planet.

So to my mind, as lame as a couple of browser-based games might be, EA are clearly 'dipping their toes in the water'. Even if EA are getting to do that for free, they are still obviously interested in how it all pans out.

If we don't support this kind of thing, i can see them simply saying "Oh we tested the Linux market, and there was little to no interest in people getting into Linux games; so it's not a model that we will be actively pursuing in the future". We'll then likely never hear from them again.

Any business is out to make money, and whilst i can see that EA are often seen as the worst kind of business (shareholder profit over customer satisfaction and innovative, quality product), i just don't think them being more involved in the Linux community, in terms of gaming, as being a bad thing

I'd sooner look at the positives from this kind of endeavour, rather than slam it because it's a little (or even significantly) less than people generally expected.

Just my noob-2-cents.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Version Dependency View Post
    Two web-browser based games? Thanks for nothing, EA. I thought we were actually getting some LINUX games.
    Yes right.. even I am having the same issue! Why do they say it for linux, if they are based on Web based games!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Good info here.

Many thanks to Philinux for bringing all this positive information to us.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast