Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central CA
    Beans
    459
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Mine has ten:

    Left
    Right
    Scroll up
    Scroll down
    Scroll button straight down
    Scroll left
    Scroll right
    Forward thumb button
    After thumb button
    Zoom button

    It's a $35 Logitech cordless.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    4,266
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
    Mine has ten:...
    Well, thanks for those... I hadn't realised that some actions were considered to be buttons!

    I have three physical buttons (left, right and middle) but more logical ones:

    1. Left click
    2. Middle click
    3. Right click
    4. Middle scroll up
    5. Middle scroll down

    I also have middle scroll left and middle scroll right (which do work for scrolling, e.g. in text), but Compiz doesn't seem to recognise them as any button.
    Problems with WINE?
    Full Circle Magazine :: Confused "allot"? :: Cheap Linux stickers
    In my day, we had outdoors in which to run, play, and socialise. Now we have computers to do those.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MD, USA
    Beans
    27
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Has anyone else experienced this particular peice of weirdness: Once I finally got the desktop cube up-and-running, I tried to carry it over to another desktop with Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Right. The cube rotated, the window came with it, but then the instant the cube finished rotating, the window "snapped back" to the desktop that it was previously on. Haven't been able to successfully carry windows from one desktop to another without dragging them, which is cumbersome to the point of being broken

    Edit: I notice that when I rotate, there's a little "blip" right when the cube comes to a rest where it flashes back to the contents of the cube face I started on. Seems like that might be related
    Last edited by DorianX; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: additional info

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by DorianX View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this particular peice of weirdness: Once I finally got the desktop cube up-and-running, I tried to carry it over to another desktop with Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Right. The cube rotated, the window came with it, but then the instant the cube finished rotating, the window "snapped back" to the desktop that it was previously on. Haven't been able to successfully carry windows from one desktop to another without dragging them, which is cumbersome to the point of being broken

    Edit: I notice that when I rotate, there's a little "blip" right when the cube comes to a rest where it flashes back to the contents of the cube face I started on. Seems like that might be related
    Old bug.
    You can try a compiz/proposed ppa which will fix.
    I am using at the moment with an nvidia card.
    See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1996273

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MD, USA
    Beans
    27
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Old bug.
    You can try a compiz/proposed ppa which will fix.
    I am using at the moment with an nvidia card.
    See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1996273
    Thanks. That cleared up my issue. I did notice that the CPU usage of compiz shot through the roof until I turned off some of the visual effects that defaulted on, but otherwise it's fairly smooth.

    Now I just have tofind a theme that's a little bit less aggressively ugly

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by DorianX View Post
    Thanks. That cleared up my issue. I did notice that the CPU usage of compiz shot through the roof until I turned off some of the visual effects that defaulted on, but otherwise it's fairly smooth.

    Now I just have tofind a theme that's a little bit less aggressively ugly
    I like this theme.Plain and unobtrusive.
    https://launchpad.net/~tista/+archive/selene


    Deb download
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stinkeye; July 3rd, 2012 at 04:57 AM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    163

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by DorianX View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this particular peice of weirdness: Once I finally got the desktop cube up-and-running, I tried to carry it over to another desktop with Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Right. The cube rotated, the window came with it, but then the instant the cube finished rotating, the window "snapped back" to the desktop that it was previously on. Haven't been able to successfully carry windows from one desktop to another without dragging them, which is cumbersome to the point of being broken

    Edit: I notice that when I rotate, there's a little "blip" right when the cube comes to a rest where it flashes back to the contents of the cube face I started on. Seems like that might be related
    Hard to know which topic to follow, but I am getting EXACTLY this. The windows go mental if you try to drag them over to another workspace when cubing, only to return to their original position. And this is in Ubuntu 12.10 (Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M).
    Last edited by Jetro; November 8th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    4,266
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetro View Post
    Hard to know which topic to follow, but I am getting EXACTLY this.
    It is a bug with Compiz in Ubuntu. I don't know why. There is no date for resolution; you just have to not use the cube (or use a different distro).
    Problems with WINE?
    Full Circle Magazine :: Confused "allot"? :: Cheap Linux stickers
    In my day, we had outdoors in which to run, play, and socialise. Now we have computers to do those.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    62

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    I have used the desktop cube in 10.04 on my desktop (AMD X2 2.9ghz powered, with an ATI HD4200 graphics card) for a couple of years with no problems, in fact I find it very useful, but trying to use it on my Lenovo S205 (AMD E300 fusion chipset) running 12.04 was an exercise in futility.

    Using Gnome-classic desktop, I had the problem with the last workspace flashing up after changing to another one, taskbar buttons not disappearing after a program was closed, and eventually I had to hard reset because the system just froze when I changed back to Desktop Wall.

    Not exactly a big deal, but a bit disappointing after being used to it working so seamlessly on my desktop.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    4,266
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by AliPM View Post
    Not exactly a big deal, but a bit disappointing after being used to it working so seamlessly on my desktop.
    Very disappointing. To me, the Cube is one of the best features on Compiz, and I miss it greatly.

    You can find many unresolved bugs regarding the Cube on Launchpad.
    Problems with WINE?
    Full Circle Magazine :: Confused "allot"? :: Cheap Linux stickers
    In my day, we had outdoors in which to run, play, and socialise. Now we have computers to do those.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •