Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see added or improved for Quantal Quetzal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What do you want to see added or improved for Quantal Quetzal?

Quote Originally Posted by OGpmpdog View Post
    Day 2 at UDS is winding down...I see a lotta dudes enjoying happy hour before the evening circus, hosted by Google...
    Heh! That's the way it always goes.

Then, when they sober-up, they're meaner than ever...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

One thing that's always bothered me on Linux that I'd love to see fixed...

I'd like to be able to do gaming in Unity 3d (Compiz). As it stands, I get horrible stutter and FPS drops when any form of compositing is enabled. Prior to the Unity switch I was able to simply disable desktop effects. Now, this is no longer an option.. I need to disrupt my workflow by logging into a non-composited desktop session.

Windows and Mac OS X, and even KDE to some extent, seem to manage this very well. However, gaming on GNOME 3/Unity with compositing is quite suboptimal and not really playable. Maybe it's different on certain higher-end cards.

I don't think this is specific to my hardware, either. It happens on both my production machines (always has), and I've fixed problems for people in the past by telling them "disable Compiz". Cards range anywhere from Intel graphics to high end NVIDIA.

This has annoyed me quite a lot since upgrading to Precise on my main PC.

Beans
    Distro

inline reply...
    Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post

• GIMP 2.8 in main repos
      • That's already being worked on. The Debian package just landed in Debian experimental today.

• Gnome Boxes
      • That will happen after libvirt gets updated. It won't be on the default CD but it will definitely be available for install in 12.10.

• Google Drive client
      • Judging from Google's previous record, I'm going to assume that their client won't be open source so it won't be in Ubuntu's archives. Google has promised that it's coming soon.

Last edited by jbicha; May 9th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Judging from Google's previous record, I'm going to assume that their client won't be open source so it won't be in Ubuntu's archives. Google has promised that it's coming soon.
    Not even in the partner repository, or extras.ubuntu.com? Skype isn't open source either, but that's in the repos.

Meh... in any case, I've seen a few other Google-sponsored projects offer 32/64 bit debs and rpms. That probably covers a good 90% of Linux users.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Distro

Delta debs. I've been waiting since the Feisty cycle.

I'd also like hybrid graphics support, but I can't see it before 13.04. A third of the necessary work will land for 12.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I want to see an installer ... specifically the partition editor ... that can handle an existing GUID partition table that has a large number of partitions because it is a multi-boot system. On mine with 58 partitions (set up to test logs of distros and editions), every Ubuntu edition fails to go to the next page where partition selection should be done. It just hangs at that point.

Programs should not hang on valid conditions.

If they don't want to support that many partitions, it should at least gracefully say so, such as:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda has 58 partitions.  That's insane.  Please delete 43 partitions and try again.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    I want to see an installer ... specifically the partition editor ... that can handle an existing GUID partition table that has a large number of partitions because it is a multi-boot system. On mine with 58 partitions (set up to test logs of distros and editions), every Ubuntu edition fails to go to the next page where partition selection should be done. It just hangs at that point.

Programs should not hang on valid conditions.

If they don't want to support that many partitions, it should at least gracefully say so, such as:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda has 58 partitions.  That's insane.  Please delete 43 partitions and try again.
    A extended partition in a standard mbr setup would support that and gparted would do the work just fine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    One thing that's always bothered me on Linux that I'd love to see fixed...

I'd like to be able to do gaming in Unity 3d (Compiz).[...]
    Valve is working on a solution.

They're making their own Linux Client and Engine, e.g. no Wine library or other "fake" support..

Purdy pics ("Left 4 Dead 2" running natively on Ubu 11.10):

That seems to be the way to go...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Not that it will ever happen, much less on QQ but... I think the last barrier for Ubuntu adoption, specially on corporate, is an Office suite.

I know, I know, LibreOffice, gnome-office, Caligra, KOffice, etc. I'm cool with any of them and I run MS-Office in VMs anyway. But I'm talking about business, ordinary users that really need 100% guaranteed compatibility to Excel, PowerPoint, Word. I know a lot of medium/large companies that can't replace windows because of Office.

If Canonical took that as a priority project, like they did with Unity, create something with a decent, smart, compact code base, with the goal of creating full compatibility to MS... I think it would be a game changer.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Not that it will ever happen, much less on QQ but... I think the last barrier for Ubuntu adoption, specially on corporate, is an Office suite.

I know, I know, LibreOffice, gnome-office, Caligra, KOffice, etc. I'm cool with any of them and I run MS-Office in VMs anyway. But I'm talking about business, ordinary users that really need 100% guaranteed compatibility to Excel, PowerPoint, Word. I know a lot of medium/large companies that can't replace windows because of Office.

If Canonical took that as a priority project, like they did with Unity, create something with a decent, smart, compact code base, with the goal of creating full compatibility to MS... I think it would be a game changer.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    +1
    I think you are right. This is thing to do for the company market. And I think increased focus on hardware detection is the thing to do for the private market.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast