Thread: Evolution and SqLite

Beans

Evolution and SqLite and FireFox

Can someone explain why the new version of evolution stores its ( MY ) mail is a SqLite database.
    I do not like that, and would like to have evolution without a databas again.
    Any problem with SqLite causes the mail to become unreadable. If evloution dies and the mailfolders where as before, I can read them always.
    This is a very wrong move if I may say.
    Is thunderbird using plain mail-boxes? or any other mail client?

( Not to say anything about the microsoft Sh.t way of handling mail, than evolution is still holy )

Yes I am very sad and angry. ( I know I should post this also in the evolution forum if it is there ... )
    Last edited by kuifje09; May 11th, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Thing turning wild

Beans

Re: Evolution and SqLite

sqlite is widely respected, and widely used. I think it is likely to be more reliable than a raft of text files because of the effort sqlite puts into ensuring database integrity. I know that firefox uses sqlite, and would be surprised if thunderbird used anything else.

I suggest you install the sqlite-manager plugin for firefox and use that to look at the database files. It's the best sqlite gui I have found.

Beans

Thanks for the response, I will have a look at the FF-Plugin.

I agree evolution is one of the best mailclients. I use it for years, after trying several.
    Only thing I do not like, it is now relying on SqLite.
    But I think I will keep using it...

If contacts etc where kept in the database I would have no problem, but without export to .mbox I cannot read the mails outside evolution. Thats my point.

Beans

Re: Evolution and SqLite and Firefox

Okay I started downloading and installing the sqlite manager.
    Thats great. But I am still more angry and I don't trust firefox nomore.
    Previous I could clear all content, read most of the cache.
    Now I say clear it all, and guess what, in the database I think everything or almost..
    I still there. Even for example, the history in firefox says, there is nothing... ITS IN THE DATABASE !

So I think obfuscation is a good thing against intruders, but obfuscation, from my programs, against me? Thats very very very bad.

And at last, I cant find howto read my mail from sqlite. Thats why this started.

Does someone going to kill me if I now suspect some microsoft developers are taking over the linux scene ?

( They are stealing and buying all they can get theire hands on ... do they ?)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    sqlite is widely respected, and widely used. I think it is likely to be more reliable than a raft of text files because of the effort sqlite puts into ensuring database integrity. I know that firefox uses sqlite, and would be surprised if thunderbird used anything else.

I suggest you install the sqlite-manager plugin for firefox and use that to look at the database files. It's the best sqlite gui I have found.
    This SqLite plugin is of no help to me. How do you use it. My evolution is version 2.32.2

Beans

Did some research with strace, and was supprised evolution has moved some data to .local/share/..... and so on.

Looking in the files, I think they are not SqLite files, but just some data, Berkely database files and some PAS ? files ( some summary files )

Looking in the trace file saved from strace scares me a lot. !

How Can I go back to some just a mail tool like evolution was some years back ?