Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/ATI Radeon drivers from website vs. drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 repo

Beans

Re: AMD/ATI Radeon drivers from website vs. drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 repo

seriously what are the advantages of using the ATI drivers over the open source ones?

every time ive installed them there are a number of problem including tearing, colour calibration being totally messed up due to catalyst, the plymouth boot screens being completely the wrong dimensions, etc etc

im confused of the advantages. im sure there are some so if somebody could enlighten me.

thanks

EDIT: actually i do remember one advantage was that when my screen turned itself off after idleness for 10 minutes it acually DID go into standby mode with the ATI drivers. With the open source one it goes blank says its going to enter standby but doesnt and then goes blank again and this repeats contiually until my desktop box goes to sleep. anyone know how to solve this without installing the ATI drivers?
    Last edited by clifford junior; May 7th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Beans

Another advantage of the proprietary over the open source drivers is supposed to be fan control. Either the fan runs constantly with the open drivers or the card overheats. I have heard it both ways.

I cannot confirm this, but I run fglrx to try to be safe. With the proprietary driver installed, I can check the chipset temp and it is reasonable (usually 45-48 C), but I do not know how to check it with the open source drivers, so I do not know for sure that one driver is better than another.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clifford junior View Post
    seriously what are the advantages of using the ATI drivers over the open source ones?

every time ive installed them there are a number of problem including tearing, colour calibration being totally messed up due to catalyst, the plymouth boot screens being completely the wrong dimensions, etc etc

im confused of the advantages. im sure there are some so if somebody could enlighten me.

thanks

EDIT: actually i do remember one advantage was that when my screen turned itself off after idleness for 10 minutes it acually DID go into standby mode with the ATI drivers. With the open source one it goes blank says its going to enter standby but doesnt and then goes blank again and this repeats contiually until my desktop box goes to sleep. anyone know how to solve this without installing the ATI drivers?
    Advantages of proprietary drivers over open source ATI are:

uses less power,
    better 3d
    fan control, etc.
    --------------------

Does anyone know if I should manually install fglrx or fglrx-updates package if I want to get driver updates ( 12.5, 12.6, etc. ) from Ubuntu repo (12.04) later?

BTW: We need to do a manual install instead of using "Additional Drivers aka Jockey" to install due to a bug in Jockey:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/949641

Thanks
    Last edited by jasonwyz98; May 8th, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

1. Phoronix has complained about the "incestuous" relationship between Ubuntu and ATI for years. Every 4th and 10th month, coinciding with an Ubuntu release, Ubuntu gets the new driver before it is released to the public.

2. The difference between the one in the repo and the one on ATI's website is that the first is development version 8.960 and the one on their website is 8.961, the difference being the latter is the "everyone else" version.

3. I have always found it better to use the command line to install:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
    Followed immediately by
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    if it is a first time installation.

4. Benefits over the open source version include at least that you can get hardware acceleration by adding VAAPI and the XvBA back end. You then have H.264.

5. If you have a color calibration problem, you should ask for help. If you have tearing you should ask for help. Tearing goes away completely per item 4.

6. Using the post-release version may make it so you are unable to use the Catalyst Control Center.
    Last edited by QIII; May 8th, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    3. I have always found it better to use the command line to install:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
    Followed immediately by
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    if it is a first time installation.

4. Benefits over the open source version include at least that you can get hardware acceleration by adding VAAPI and the XvBA back end. You then have H.264.

5. If you have a color calibration problem, you should ask for help. If you have tearing you should ask for help. Tearing goes away completely per item 4.

6. Using the post-release version may make it so you are unable to use the Catalyst Control Center.
    thanks for this. while were on it, i calibrate my monitor using dispcalGUI and in the past when ive installed ati and catalyst and opened previously worked on photos in aftershot pro, they are pretty messed up. i put this down to catalyst taking over the colour settings of ubuntu, but i could be wrong. can you shed any light on this?

regarding point 4 can you explain how to add those to the back end (i honestly dont even know what they mean or where to start). if you could then i'll give the drivers a shot again.

my graphics card is only an HD 5450, so i dont know if it can support any of that. i know it doesnt have a fan so i have no problem in that regard.

would i need to unistall the open source drivers first? there used to be an article on wiki ubuntu about this but it has been pulled so i wouldnt know how.

thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

All post HD 2xxx versions (at least, maybe some of the previous can) support VAAPI and XvBA.

Install the packages vainfo, xvba-va-driver, libva-egl1, libva-glx1 -- all available in the repos.

To test, you should get something like this:

Code:
    $ vainfo
    libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
          VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
    Splitted desktop is up to VA-API 0.8.0 in their PPA, but I prefer to keep PPAs to a minimum.

If you get a few lines like this

Code:
    xvba_video: XVBA_CreateContext(): status 11
    libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so init failed
    libva: va_openDriver() returns -1
    vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit
    then a symlink to fglrx_drv_video.so is broken, which can be easily fixed.

Uninstall the open source drivers first so you don't have conflicts. You should be able to uninstall the open source driver by searching through Synaptic. Look for "ATI". But install the fglrx package from the terminal.

Catalyst Control Center has color calibration. I use it to match the colors between multiple monitors.

Edit: In case you are wondering why NVIDIA users don't have to add anything for hardware acceleration, NVIDIA uses VDPAU, which is proprietary (and nicely convenient!). ATI doesn't use a proprietary VA method, instead using the open standard VA-API which has to be added.
    Last edited by QIII; May 8th, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

All post HD 2xxx versions (at least, maybe some of the previous can) support VAAPI and XvBA.

Install the packages vainfo, xvba-va-driver, libva-egl1, libva-glx1 -- all available in the repos.

Code:
    $ vainfo
    vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8

Code:

Uninstall the open source drivers first so you don't have conflicts. You should be able to uninstall the open source driver by searching through Synaptic. Look for "ATI". But install the fglrx package from the terminal.
    thanks for this. just a few questions before i proceed.

what commands do i use to uninstall the open source drivers?

and then i install the ati drivers and then finally those packages you listed in the last post?

thanks

Beans

Code:
    $ vainfo

Code:

Catalyst Control Center has color calibration. I use it to match the colors between multiple monitors.
    can i turn catalysts calibration off or ask it to use my profiled icc?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What commands do i use to uninstall the open source drivers?

and then i install the ati drivers and then finally those packages you listed in the last post?

thanks
    As I think about it, you probably don't have to uninstall the default driver. I never have, actually. Just install the fglrx driver.

Yes, install the ATI driver followed by the packages described.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

can i turn catalysts calibration off or ask it to use my profiled icc?
    Not as far as I know -- but I've never tried anything like that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast