Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/ATI Radeon drivers from website vs. drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 repo

Beans

Question AMD/ATI drivers from website vs. proprietary drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 Repos?

I have 2 questions regarding to different AMD Radeon drivers:

1. What is the difference between the 3?

* AMD/ATI Driver ( 12.04 Repo )
    * AMD/ATI Driver, Post release update ( 12.04 Repo )
    * AMD/ATI Driver 12.4 ( AMD Website )

2. If I install the "Post release update" driver from Ubuntu Repos, Will I get future updates from Ubuntu, In other words what's Ubuntu Radeon driver update policy?

Thanks
    Last edited by jasonwyz98; May 7th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.

Beans

Re: AMD/ATI Radeon drivers from website vs. drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 repo

I don't recall anyone having any luck with the one labeled "post release updates".

The other one from the repo and the one from AMD are the same, or should be. I have had better luck with the one from the repo. Others have reported the exact opposite.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Re: AMD/ATI drivers from website vs. proprietary drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 Repos?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwyz98 View Post
    I have 2 questions regarding to different AMD Radeon drivers:

1. What is the difference between the 3?

* AMD/ATI Driver ( 12.04 Repo )
    * AMD/ATI Driver, Post release update ( 12.04 Repo )
    * AMD/ATI Driver 12.4 ( AMD Website )

2. If I install the "Post release update" driver from Ubuntu Repos, Will I get future updates from Ubuntu, In other words what's Ubuntu Radeon driver update policy?

I have noticed that installing the post version of my NVIDIA drivers will cause graphics problems. I think this may help you.

Further, Installing the post release of proprietary drivers may cause the video driver to be loaded at the wrong time causing system graphics failure. This is first hand from my systems.

ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ
    shadowsgovernment.com

Beans

@ratcheer
    @vVvSHADOWvVv

Thanks for the quick response

So, does Ubuntu update the proprietary Radeon drivers in their Repo? In other word if I use the driver from Ubuntu repo, will I get 12.5, 12.6, etc. later?
    Last edited by jasonwyz98; May 7th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwyz98 View Post
    @ratcheer
    @vVvSHADOWvVv

Thanks for the quick response

So, does Ubuntu update the proprietary Radeon drivers in their Repo? In other word if I use the driver from Ubuntu repo, will I get 12.5, 12.6, etc. later?
    If there is a new driver, yes. But it generally takes them (NVIDIA & AMD) a while to update the drivers as Linux versions are not a top priority.

ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ
    shadowsgovernment.com

Beans

Yes, I believe they will be updated when Ubuntu changes the version in the repo. That has been my experience in the past.

I am also beginning to wonder the proper use of the post release updates package. I am going to research this with aptitude and see if I can find out exactly what is what in the repo. Thanks for bringing this up. I will report back.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Exclamation Re: AMD/ATI Radeon drivers from website vs. drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 repo

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Yes, I believe they will be updated when Ubuntu changes the version in the repo. That has been my experience in the past.

I am also beginning to wonder the proper use of the post release updates package. I am going to research this with aptitude and see if I can find out exactly what is what in the repo. Thanks for bringing this up. I will report back.

Tim
    @ratcheer

Beware of using those post releases. I have NEVER had ANY good luck with them.

ṤⱧǠᴆŐƜ
    shadowsgovernment.com

Beans

Exclamation Re: AMD/ATI Radeon drivers from website vs. drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 repo

Wow, this is confusing. Examining the actual packages with aptitude shows that both fglrx and fglrx-updates are version "2:8.960-0ubuntu1". So, as near as I can tell, at this point in time, they are exactly the same.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, and tell me why.

Tim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Wow, this is confusing. Examining the actual packages with aptitude shows that both fglrx and fglrx-updates are version "2:8.960-0ubuntu1". So, as near as I can tell, at this point in time, they are exactly the same.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, and tell me why.

Tim
    Noticed this as well, they are the same, also found a few bug reports stating that currently you can't use Jockey to install proprietary ATI drivers:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/873058

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/994371

There are many more reports, google it.

Apparently it's caused by the version #s being the same, workaround is the manually install the drivers.

So my question is should I manuall install fglrx or fglrx-updates package?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I Believe the drivers from the repos will get updates bundled with other updates from canonical, where as drivers from ati/amd website aren't. In terms of the differences between the two repo versions, I haven't a clue.

So, in other words, if you install from the repos, updates will come as canonical gets them, as opposed to the ati/amd website, where you will need to be proactive to update them yourself, keeping in mind that using the ati/amd version might cause system problems; which is why it is recommended that you install from the repos(unless you really know what you are doing)

The support for all is the same. Proprietry.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast