Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501, Ubuntu 12.04

Chili555... Right on with the "sudo apt-get..." instructions. Thanks a bunch!

It's an interesting problem, though. If I read the instructions right, we're downloading a small package, removing the b43 driver, and then re-adding the b43 driver.

To the point of someone else asking for an offline fix, could we have remove/re-add the b43 driver without the download? Or did the Broadcom code need changing for U12.04?

Curiously yours... (as my wiress is up!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501, Ubuntu 12.04

The driver b43 requires firmware which is proprietary so it's not included by default in the free and open source Ubuntu install. We install the nonfree firmware package; then we unload the driver and reload it so it sees and grabs the shiny new firmware.

The offline approach usually involves me attaching a zipped firmware file to my reply, and a USB stick so it can be transferred to the internet-less computer and installed in the correct spot so the b43 driver finds it as expected. As I said, I don't usually start there, but it's an available option if needed.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please temporarily hook up the ethernet temporarily and open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe b43
    Detach the ethernet. Now is it working?
    This fix works perfectly for me as well (same hardware as the original poster). However, do you expect to have to do this each time you start the computer? Is there a permanent solution?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

However, do you expect to have to do this each time you start the computer? Is there a permanent solution?
    Usually there is! Please try:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo b43 >> /etc/modules
    exit
    Reboot. Is it working now?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Usually there is! Please try:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo b43 >> /etc/modules
    exit
    Reboot. Is it working now?
    Yes! Nice one, thanks a lot!

Beans

Thanks Chili555 - I'm also up and running with no issues now, and I've only been on a Linux system for two days. Kinda feel in control again

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by StinkySQL View Post
    Thanks Chili555 - I'm also up and running with no issues now, and I've only been on a Linux system for two days. Kinda feel in control again
    Awesome! Glad it's working. Welcome to the fascinating world of Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Please temporarily hook up the ethernet temporarily and open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe b43
    Detach the ethernet. Now is it working?
    This also fixed my problem & I really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by cmcglath; September 25th, 2012 at 03:56 AM.

Beans

This really needs an OFFLINE solution
    I probably have one! I don't usually propose it at the start for a laptop because the user can almost always walk over to the router and hook up.
    I really, really need the off-line solution. I don't have the Internet at my house so I can only use the wifi connection at the public library. And since there is no Ethernet connections available there, I'm kind of hosed unless I can use the off-line way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darksign13 View Post
    I really, really need the off-line solution. I don't have the Internet at my house so I can only use the wifi connection at the public library. And since there is no Ethernet connections available there, I'm kind of hosed unless I can use the off-line way.

The b43 offline solution can be found in this posting.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=12

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast