Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501, Ubuntu 12.04

When I go into the additional drivers section of system settings, i click activate and I receive the following error:

"Sorry, installation of this driver failed.

Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log"

Here is some info from lspci -nn | grep 0280:

05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

Thanks for the help....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501, Ubuntu 12.04

Hi,

you only need the firmware for the b43 driver for this device:
    Code:
    wget http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum...irmware.tar.gz 
    sudo tar xvf 2480236-Broadcom_Firmware.tar.gz -C /lib/firmware/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501, Ubuntu 12.04

Please temporarily hook up the ethernet temporarily and open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe b43
    Detach the ethernet. Now is it working?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Thanks for the repsonses, folks.

I hooked up the ethernet but my connection toggles on/off. It says when it's on that it's running at 100 mbits/s but yet I am unable to load web pages?....

Beans
    Distro

You didn't say you also have a wired ethernet problem. Sorry, only one problem per customer per day.

Just kidding! With the ethernet connected, please run and post:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep eth
    ifconfig
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    You didn't say you also have a wired ethernet problem. Sorry, only one problem per customer per day.

Just kidding! With the ethernet connected, please run and post:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep eth
    ifconfig
    Thanks.

Haha! I actually got it working.

I ran the following command:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and the ethernet had a continuous connection. I then ran the commands in your previous post and got the wireless working too!

Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro

Excellent! Glad it's working. Please use thread tools at the top to Mark Solved.

Beans

Exact same problem here with more useless apt-get solutions. This really needs an OFFLINE solution since if the computer has no internet connection it's not going to apt-get anything.

Beans
    Distro

Exact same problem here with more useless apt-get solutions.
    Mind if we check first? Please run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \.
    This really needs an OFFLINE solution
    I probably have one! I don't usually propose it at the start for a laptop because the user can almost always walk over to the router and hook up.
    Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Dell Inspirion 1501

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Excellent! Glad it's working. Please use thread tools at the top to Mark Solved.

Done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast