Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 and Pentium M CPU error

Beans

Re: 12.04 and Pentium M CPU error

HP Pavilion Dv7-2019ca dual core T4200 and it is too old? Tried running in virtual-box to see what it was like and that was the error I received. I thought we were trying to get more users not less?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by brianw0667 View Post
    HP Pavilion Dv7-2019ca dual core T4200 and it is too old? Tried running in virtual-box to see what it was like and that was the error I received. I thought we were trying to get more users not less?
    for now there are still several ways for older machines to try 12.4 as I understand it any of the other ubantu distros and then there is installing 11.10 and upgrading ..

threre does come a point though whrn you have to ask if a class is totally out moded and give up support ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can always use an older version, but honestly, only Windows carries on the 32bit support (Apple has all but abandoned 32bit). Eventually, you have to make your software support common hardware, and Pentium Ms and original Core CPUs are not very common anymore. Anything sold in the last several years supports 64bit. It's where we need to go to support more RAM and give applications more address space.

As for 12.04 on a Pentium M? I've tried it, and its slow. It's slow even running XP SP3 and any modern program. My i3 is probably 8x faster than a 1.6ghz Pentium M.
    HP ProBook 4530s - 4GB RAM - 12.04 AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Virtualbox uses virtual hardware, not your actual hardware. That is why you are getting that error. You can try to enable PAE in the virtual machine settings like the screenie below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans

I had the same problem on my Eee-PC 701 using the regular install image. However, I have now installed ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386-nonpae.iso successfully from this page.

The only problem I had with the install was that it crashed if I selected an encrypted home drive. Unenecrypted worked fine.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm Back again. Seeing I was the one who started this I just downloaded Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and this is what I want to run on this older laptop on a sound system, but I am back to the same problem. The PAE. The question I have is there a way to install Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on a non PAE supported CPU? I thought maybe doing an 11.XX and then upgrading to 12.04, but I would really like to do a clear 12.04 install. Any thought on this?
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I'm Back again. Seeing I was the one who started this I just downloaded Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and this is what I want to run on this older laptop on a sound system, but I am back to the same problem. The PAE. The question I have is there a way to install Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on a non PAE supported CPU? I thought maybe doing an 11.XX and then upgrading to 12.04, but I would really like to do a clear 12.04 install. Any thought on this?
    You could use the mini.iso (non-pae, of course) to install the base system then run one command to get the full Ubuntu Studio desktop.

mini.iso

After using the mini.iso to install the base just login and issue this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop
    After that, you should be all set.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans

I ran into the same exact issue (only I have an old VIA CPU) and found that Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS is a bit of a special case because it not only uses the PAE kernel, it uses the lowlatency PAE kernel. I first tried using the non-pae mini.iso as described here but I ended up with a bloody mess

In hindsight I think if I'd first performed a CLI install using the mini.iso, or either an Xubuntu or Lubuntu alternate image, I could have then just typed the command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-lowlatency linux-lowlatency ubuntustudio-desktop
    But I have NOT tried that! It may or may NOT work!

Instead I started reading the release notes and after seeing that Ubuntu Studio 12.04 uses XFCE as the default desktop environment I installed Xubuntu, then installed 'linux-headers-lowlatency', 'linux-lowlatency', and 'ubuntustudio-desktop'. But I'm still having some issues, particularly with lightdm

I've not given up yet though so stay tuned

I wished when I'd installed Xubuntu that I had NOT chosen auto-login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok what I ended up doing was installing Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and I am now doing the upgrade to 12.04. Will add a edit to this go bad but so far it is looking good. I think this is the OS I will stay with on the sound system. When it is all said and done it will be hooked into the PA system and I will be doing all the recording from this old laptop. I did it this way before but with Ubuntu 10.10 and Audacity. Of course I will still be using Audacity.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Ok what I ended up doing was installing Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and I am now doing the upgrade to 12.04. Will add a edit to this go bad but so far it is looking good. I think this is the OS I will stay with on the sound system. When it is all said and done it will be hooked into the PA system and I will be doing all the recording from this old laptop. I did it this way before but with Ubuntu 10.10 and Audacity. Of course I will still be using Audacity.
    Please let me know which kernel you end up using. Obviously non-pae, but I'm wondering about standard non-pae vs lowlatency vs realtime. I did find a Precise version of the realtime kernel here:

https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/realtime

But the i386 version is PAE

I did get an Xubuntu converted to Ubuntu Studio but I'm not too crazy about the XFCE interface. Yes, I know I'm whiney

So I'm kind of thinking about installing Ubuntu using this unofficial iso:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...47/comments/84

Then converting it to a classic (no effects) look:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

And then adding the ubuntustudio audio, recording, and generation pkgs. But I've never done this before and the official documentation is not yet updated for 12.04:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...dioPreparation

It's almost enough to make my brain hurt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast