Thread: Video's sound problems on 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Video's sound problems on 12.04

Since I upgraded to 12.04 I've noticed some problems with my laptop. But the most glaring of all is the problems with the video playback. When I play YouTube videos they buffer properly but the sound comes out stuttering. Even when I play a movie on VLC sometimes when I have to pause-and-play the sound would disappear.

Is there anything I can do to solve this?

I'm noting though the sound problem only occurs with videos. When I play music on Banshee, there are no problems at all.
    Last edited by Sicadastra; May 7th, 2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: more information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Video's sound problems on 12.04

Good question. I also have problems with sound on 12.04 ... but not every time. Sometimes starting videos on VLC will produce static or other weird sound issues. If I start/stop it, it'll work fine after that.

Sound drive issues maybe?
    Black Box Rig : AMD Phenom II 6-Core 3.4 GHz | 16 GB Memory | 2 TB x2 SATA 6.0 GB/s HDDs
    Mobile Box : AMD A10 2.5 GHz | 8 GB Memory | 1 TB x1 HDD

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it's most likely although I have no idea where to start troubleshooting.

Beans
    Distro

I somehow managed to solve my problem on my own without knowing what exactly it was I did. I tinkered with the alsamixer and when I tried playing YouTube videos again they sounded fine at last.

Beans

I created a new profile. The sound works in new profile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Luckily, instead of having to create a new profile, one of the last recent updates seems to have cleared up that issue for me.

I guess something was just buggy previously.
    Black Box Rig : AMD Phenom II 6-Core 3.4 GHz | 16 GB Memory | 2 TB x2 SATA 6.0 GB/s HDDs
    Mobile Box : AMD A10 2.5 GHz | 8 GB Memory | 1 TB x1 HDD

Beans

Hello,

I have the same problem, fullyupdated Ubuntu 64, and the sound in videos gets stuffed even if the video is fully loaded, I noticed it only pops when the video presents a lot of bass frecuencies (like movies), when the sound is more treblee (like one guy playing guitar) it doesn't happen, actually it pops for example with very bassy bass drums (modern ones), anyone else experimenting this?

P.D. the same sound doesn't gets stuffed in Windows, so it is not problem of my speakers, it started with the update of Ubuntu to 12.04

EDIT: Found a solution for my problem,
    alsamixer => disable auto mute
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrhl8iaDzFI
    Last edited by jdsampayo; July 7th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdsampayo View Post
    Hello,

I have the same problem, fullyupdated Ubuntu 64, and the sound in videos gets stuffed even if the video is fully loaded, I noticed it only pops when the video presents a lot of bass frecuencies (like movies), when the sound is more treblee (like one guy playing guitar) it doesn't happen, actually it pops for example with very bassy bass drums (modern ones), anyone else experimenting this?

P.D. the same sound doesn't gets stuffed in Windows, so it is not problem of my speakers, it started with the update of Ubuntu to 12.04

EDIT: Found a solution for my problem,
    alsamixer => disable auto mute
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrhl8iaDzFI
    worked great, thanks.