Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plymouth Errors after AMD / FGLRX drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Plymouth Errors after AMD / FGLRX drivers

Quote Originally Posted by FishboyFive View Post
    Ubuntu 12.04 does not support Fglrx AMD Drivers.
    They work for me, 3d and hardware acceleration. The boot process still works fine.

Windows doesn't support AMD/ATI drivers, by the way. Microsoft doesn't support anything but Microsoft. It's the AMD/ATI folks that make sure their drivers work with Windows, not the other way around. Common misconception, though.

Again, it's Plymouth, not Ubuntu. The Plymouth devs need to get it straight. And if you think this single thing is a commentary on an OS in its entirety, you've missed the mark.

Good luck with Win8.
    Last edited by QIII; May 10th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

If its Plymouth then Ubuntu needs to fix it because Plymouth is part of the total package .

Don't release Ubuntu when you know for a fact your boot manager is broken and does not support official drivers from Amd.com

It's not ok to just say things work it's just a boot screen . It should work

And thanks my windows 8 preview is working 100% with official drivers it's really nice

Good luck getting that 1% desktop market without full 3d support in official drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Once more from the top:

Ubuntu offers only the open source drivers. AMD/ATI produces the proprietary drivers for both Windows and Linux. Neither Windows nor Linux supports the drivers.

The boot process is not broken. If it's not pretty enough for you, then you and I have a somewhat different notion about what computers are.

The proprietary fglrx drivers provide 3D.

Again, good luck.
    Last edited by QIII; May 10th, 2012 at 01:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post

AMD/ATI produces the proprietary drivers for both Windows and Linux.
    ( 1 ) AMD Makes Video Card called HD 6870
    ( 2 ) AMD/ATI produces the proprietary drivers for both Windows and Linux

( 3 ) Its up to Windows and Linux to make sure the Operating System can use the drivers without Breakage

AMD clearly Shows on there blog that the day Windows 8 Consumer preview was launched that they launched a Version of a Driver for Windows 8 .

Downloaded and installed

UBUNTU launches 12.04

amd website has Drivers for Ubuntu 12.04 for download

I download and install drivers

I then Reboot the PC and

BROKEN BOOT SCREEN
    BROKEN SHUTDOWN SCREEN

Do not blame AMD / ATI they mad the drivers they work
    its UBUNTU that does not work

if the drivers were made to work with Linux then what did linux do or break that they dont work.

this is ridiculous in the year 2012 that Linux is still pointing fingers at AMD / nvidia because they can not get there act together.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Let me say this again: it is NOT incumbent on OS purveyors to make sure someone else's product works with their OS. That is a common misconception and expectation. Perhaps I am ignorant because I am a Microsoft Certified developer, but I am under the impression that it is my responsibility to make sure my products work with Windows, not the other way around. Microsoft has no obligation to make sure their OS works with my products. In fact, Microsoft has a very stringent approval process for OEMs to have their drivers included in the Microsoft driverbase. Microsoft makes the OEMs do it. Microsoft does not make their own developers do it. Many people simply do not understand the industry. Microsoft does not support your hardware or its driver. Microsoft is under no moral, ethical, legal or market-driven obligation to do so. The OEMs are under a market obligation to make their products work with Windows or they go out of business. It is a simple and wise business decision to spend the lion's share of their effort on Windows compatibility and only a small effort for Linux compatibility. I don't know how to be more clear.

Canonical did nothing to change or break the driver. It's the one they were given. It's closed source so Canonical can't change it even if they wanted to. Canonical put it in the repo as is and the MOTU responsible included in the package what was necessary to install it. That is all. The driver is AMD/ATI's, unchanged. If you read the description of the driver in Synaptic, you will see that Canonical states clearly that they cannot provide support or modify the code. It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of fact. What is also a matter of fact is that AMD/ATI and Canonical have such a good relationship that every fourth and tenth month, Canonical gets the x.4 and x.10 versions of ATI/AMD's drivers before they are even released to the public or any other distro. Phoronix complains about that every time.

The driver does work, in fact, as demonstrated by the fact that so many people use it. It provides full 3D and can even be made to use hardware acceleration with a few additions that AMD/ATI does not itself include in the Linux package because they are open standard and available to all. The driver is not broken and it does not interfere with the boot process. A consequence of its installation, which Canonical has no control over in any way, is that the Plymouth image is distorted. We know this. Canonical knows this. It has been known for a long time. You were even given a link to a way to resolve this behavior somewhat. Someone spent the time to make that available -- for free.

What the open source community can do is produce an open source driver, which they have done. However, since the hardware is proprietary the best they can do is program against a black box (there is some light at the very edge because AMD/ATI makes some things available) and try to make it work. It would be illegal, unethical and cost-prohibitive for the developers to attempt to fully reverse engineer the hardware in order to sort it out. That driver does not cause the Plymouth issue, because the open source developers have control over that. Someone is producing a driver that works well with Plymouth. It's just not ATI. It's the very people who you say can't get their acts together. Open source developers even make a number of drivers for hardware where the OEM provides no Linux driver at all. Ironic, no?

However, the open source developers have not gotten to the point where they have full 3D or hardware acceleration because they cannot see into the black box.

Your only possible legitimate complaint in all of this can only be with the open source driver. Even then, that would be blaming people who work very hard to produce something under very difficult circumstances -- and they don't deserve that.

I think you have convinced yourself of what you need to think, so Win8 is probably your best bet for continued happiness and joy. There is nothing wrong with that and there is nothing wrong with Windows. I use it. I even have Win8 installed. I am aware that is current lack of polish (to be honest, it looks like sticky notes on a white board right now) is due to the fact that it is an advanced proof-of-concept provided for users to give feedback. It does not yet reflect its ultimate final form. The fact that Windows has made it available as they have is highly unusual -- and very welcome. I used to get pre-release versions as a Beta tester.

Be intellectually honest. You have taken an insignificant thing and blown it entirely out of proportion in order to justify using Windows. That is unnecessary. Just use Windows. Nobody here can fault you for using what works for you.
    Last edited by QIII; May 10th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Let me say this again: it is NOT incumbent on OS purveyors to make sure someone else's product works with their OS. That is a common misconception and expectation. Perhaps I am ignorant because I am a Microsoft Certified developer, but I am under the impression that it is my responsibility to make sure my products work with Windows, not the other way around. Microsoft has no obligation to make sure their OS works with my products. In fact, Microsoft has a very stringent approval process for OEMs to have their drivers included in the Microsoft driverbase. Microsoft makes the OEMs do it. Microsoft does not make their own developers do it. Many people simply do not understand the industry. Microsoft does not support your hardware or its driver. Microsoft is under no moral, ethical, legal or market-driven obligation to do so. The OEMs are under a market obligation to make their products work with Windows or they go out of business. It is a simple and wise business decision to spend the lion's share of their effort on Windows compatibility and only a small effort for Linux compatibility. I don't know how to be more clear.

Canonical did nothing to change or break the driver. It's the one they were given. It's closed source so Canonical can't change it even if they wanted to. Canonical put it in the repo as is and the MOTU responsible included in the package what was necessary to install it. That is all. The driver is AMD/ATI's, unchanged. If you read the description of the driver in Synaptic, you will see that Canonical states clearly that they cannot provide support or modify the code. It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of fact. What is also a matter of fact is that AMD/ATI and Canonical have such a good relationship that every fourth and tenth month, Canonical gets the x.4 and x.10 versions of ATI/AMD's drivers before they are even released to the public or any other distro. Phoronix complains about that every time.

The driver does work, in fact, as demonstrated by the fact that so many people use it. It provides full 3D and can even be made to use hardware acceleration with a few additions that AMD/ATI does not itself include in the Linux package because they are open standard and available to all. The driver is not broken and it does not interfere with the boot process. A consequence of its installation, which Canonical has no control over in any way, is that the Plymouth image is distorted. We know this. Canonical knows this. It has been known for a long time. You were even given a link to a way to resolve this behavior somewhat. Someone spent the time to make that available -- for free.

What the open source community can do is produce an open source driver, which they have done. However, since the hardware is proprietary the best they can do is program against a black box (there is some light at the very edge because AMD/ATI makes some things available) and try to make it work. It would be illegal, unethical and cost-prohibitive for the developers to attempt to fully reverse engineer the hardware in order to sort it out. That driver does not cause the Plymouth issue, because the open source developers have control over that. Someone is producing a driver that works well with Plymouth. It's just not ATI. It's the very people who you say can't get their acts together. Open source developers even make a number of drivers for hardware where the OEM provides no Linux driver at all. Ironic, no?

However, the open source developers have not gotten to the point where they have full 3D or hardware acceleration because they cannot see into the black box.

Your only possible legitimate complaint in all of this can only be with the open source driver. Even then, that would be blaming people who work very hard to produce something under very difficult circumstances -- and they don't deserve that.

I think you have convinced yourself of what you need to think, so Win8 is probably your best bet for continued happiness and joy. There is nothing wrong with that and there is nothing wrong with Windows. I use it. I even have Win8 installed. I am aware that is current lack of polish (to be honest, it looks like sticky notes on a white board right now) is due to the fact that it is an advanced proof-of-concept provided for users to give feedback. It does not yet reflect its ultimate final form. The fact that Windows has made it available as they have is highly unusual -- and very welcome. I used to get pre-release versions as a Beta tester.

Be intellectually honest. You have taken an insignificant thing and blown it entirely out of proportion in order to justify using Windows. That is unnecessary. Just use Windows. Nobody here can fault you for using what works for you.
    +1 Most excellent reply full of truth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12