Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless problem after upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wireless problem after upgrade

I searched the forum and could not find reference to this type of problem. I have a Panp8 originally shipped with 11.04. Everything worked. Upgraded to 11.10 and everything worked. Upgraded to 12.04 and a strange wireless problem occured.

Network manager sees my wireless access point (with WPA encryption) and supposidly connects with three out of four bars of signal strength. But when I open FireFox and try to connect, the attempt times out saying that the server could not be found. Things that I have tried:

1. Reinstalled 12.04 as a clean install
    2. Turned the wireless card off then on with Fn F11
    3. System connects with a wired connection
    4. My Panp8 connects wirelessly with 11.10 Live CD
    5. Wireless works perfectly with all of my other wireless devices, (MacBook Pro, iPad, Acer Aspire One.)
    6. sudo lspci results in the following: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (rev 34)

Since my network works perfectly with my other devises, and on my Panp8 with earlier versions of Ubuntu, I suspect that the problem lies with an obscure setting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wireless problem after upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    I searched the forum and could not find reference to this type of problem. I have a Panp8 originally shipped with 11.04. Everything worked. Upgraded to 11.10 and everything worked. Upgraded to 12.04 and a strange wireless problem occured.

Network manager sees my wireless access point (with WPA encryption) and supposidly connects with three out of four bars of signal strength. But when I open FireFox and try to connect, the attempt times out saying that the server could not be found. Things that I have tried:

1. Reinstalled 12.04 as a clean install
    2. Turned the wireless card off then on with Fn F11
    3. System connects with a wired connection
    4. My Panp8 connects wirelessly with 11.10 Live CD
    5. Wireless works perfectly with all of my other wireless devices, (MacBook Pro, iPad, Acer Aspire One.)
    6. sudo lspci results in the following: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (rev 34)

Since my network works perfectly with my other devises, and on my Panp8 with earlier versions of Ubuntu, I suspect that the problem lies with an obscure setting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
    Try unplugging your wireless router for a few minutes, then plug it back in. We're sure there aren't any compatibility issues with 12.04 and any of our Wireless cards in Pangolins, so you'll want to try this.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Will do, I will try this when I get home from work.

Joe

Beans
    Distro

Still no joy. Powercycling the wireless router did not help. I again tried a live CD version of Ubuntu 11.10 and both the wired and wireless connections worked perfectly. All of my other devices connect.

When I enable wireless, I can connect to the wireless access point. It simply cannot connect to the internet. This Panp8 worked flawlessly until the upgrade to 12.04. I do not think it is a hardware problem, but rather something in either the software settings or in the firmware. Any further suggestions would reallly be appreciated. Oh, I am connecting to a Trendnet wireless AP/Router.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Still no joy. Powercycling the wireless router did not help. I again tried a live CD version of Ubuntu 11.10 and both the wired and wireless connections worked perfectly. All of my other devices connect.

When I enable wireless, I can connect to the wireless access point. It simply cannot connect to the internet. This Panp8 worked flawlessly until the upgrade to 12.04. I do not think it is a hardware problem, but rather something in either the software settings or in the firmware. Any further suggestions would reallly be appreciated. Oh, I am connecting to a Trendnet wireless AP/Router.

Joe
    This may be nothing, but I'm curious.

Doing a iwconfig/ifconfig, are you seeing any excessive errors/retries? Second thought, you mentioned that you're connected okay to the access point. Is the admin area accessible when connected wirelessly? If so, does visiting 173.194.33.34 bring you to Google in Firefox?

Since isantop reports that the other models of that PC work fine with 12.04, I cannot help but wonder if there is some kind of blockage happening somewhere. Maybe an error with how DNS is being handled?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this when I get home from work.

Joe

Beans

Had same problem: have P8 with 11.04. First tried to do an upgrade to 11:10. Upgrade
    failed. Then did a clean install to 12.04. Everything seems to work, except the wireless.
    Then, following advice, unplugged everything, and when turned back on the wireless worked.

Beans

I've also encountered a wireless problem after the upgrade. It says I'm connected but when I go to Firefox the load fails. I know it's not the connection; our Mac works just fine.

Beans
    Distro

ctsdownloads, I tried your suggestion butit did not work. Typing in the address with a hardwired connection brought up Google, but even though the system indicated a wireless connection, Google did not load typing in the same address.

m90benaiah, your experience is the same as mine. Network manager tellsme that I am connected to my wireless router, but it does not connect to the internet.

Very strange and frustrating, wireless worked perfectly with version 11.04 and 11.10. Absolutely no problems. All of my other devices still connect flawlessly to my wireless access point.

I am temporarily giving up on Ubuntu on this laptop. Unfortunately, not many of my preferred Linux distros are compatible with the Panp8's hardware. I removed Ubuntu and am currently running Mint 12. Wireless works perfectly, unfortunately without the benefit of S76's custom drivers, a lot of other functionality is not enabled. Function keys for example. I sent an e-mail to support at s76 several days ago, but I havenot heard back from them yet. Will keep this thread posted if anything changes.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ctsdownloads, I tried your suggestion butit did not work. Typing in the address with a hardwired connection brought up Google, but even though the system indicated a wireless connection, Google did not load typing in the same address.

m90benaiah, your experience is the same as mine. Network manager tellsme that I am connected to my wireless router, but it does not connect to the internet.

Very strange and frustrating, wireless worked perfectly with version 11.04 and 11.10. Absolutely no problems. All of my other devices still connect flawlessly to my wireless access point.

I am temporarily giving up on Ubuntu on this laptop. Unfortunately, not many of my preferred Linux distros are compatible with the Panp8's hardware. I removed Ubuntu and am currently running Mint 12. Wireless works perfectly, unfortunately without the benefit of S76's custom drivers, a lot of other functionality is not enabled. Function keys for example. I sent an e-mail to support at s76 several days ago, but I havenot heard back from them yet. Will keep this thread posted if anything changes.

Joe
    Just a note, we've actually dropped the old email support system in favor of a new system built-in to our website. Just log in to your account on our website to get to it.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast