Thread: Exporting account settings in Thunderbird?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Exporting account settings in Thunderbird? *

Hi!

I know it is possible to export your address book in Thunderbird... I have multiple email accounts set up, and I wonder if it is possible to export these accounts and their settings?

I'm reinstalling (K)Ubuntu, and since I'm lazy I'm not really in the mood to set up and reconfigure all my email accounts...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Dry Lips; June 3rd, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Exporting account settings in Thunderbird?

Backup your .thunderbird directory (a hidden directory, so choose "Show All Directory" first) in your home folder and when reinstalling, simply copy it to your new home. It contains all of your Thunderbird configs.
    All other apps store user configs in a hidden directory in your home folder too, so if you want to preserve the settings on a certain program, simply back it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Backup your .thunderbird directory (a hidden directory, so choose "Show All Directory" first) in your home folder and when reinstalling, simply copy it to your new home. It contains all of your Thunderbird configs.
    All other apps store user configs in a hidden directory in your home folder too, so if you want to preserve the settings on a certain program, simply back it up.
    Thanks a lot m8! Does it matter that that I'll be installing a newer version of Thunderbird? I'm running 11.04, and I'll be installing 12.04...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

The new thunderbird will probably ask you to import the settings. The address-book etc. will be used as they are - as the format rarely changes. You could get issues with incompatible plugins/add-ons though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    The new thunderbird will probably ask you to import the settings. The address-book etc. will be used as they are - as the format rarely changes. You could get issues with incompatible plugins/add-ons though.
    Enigmail is the only add-on that I've got installed at the moment... Perhaps it's a good idea to uninstall enigmail before I backup .thunderbird?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Enigmail is the only add-on that I've got installed at the moment... Perhaps it's a good idea to uninstall enigmail before I backup .thunderbird?
    No - enigmail is practically part of thunderbird, and the new version should have it always available. So it's fine IMHO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    No - enigmail is practically part of thunderbird, and the new version should have it always available. So it's fine IMHO
    Ok, Cheers! I'll try this out and I'll report back to this thread when I'm done reinstalling...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm sure your advice will work perfectly, but unfortunately I discovered that I'm lacking a SATA power connector for my SSD. I will have to buy a IDE to SATA power adaptor before I can set up my new system... So, no Kubuntu 12.04 for a week or so!

Thanks so much zombifier25 & smurphy for your kind help.