Thread: Lemur Ultra, 12.04: no HDMI device in sound settings

Hybrid View

Beans

Lemur Ultra, 12.04: no HDMI device in sound settings

I tried the HDMI output today on my new Lemur Ultra (I had not tried it before upgrading to 12.04). Picture was fine but no audio. I tried sound settings, but there was nothing obvious there to help. I found this addressed on the troubleshooting list on the System 76 support area, but it claimed that there would be a HDMI device listed under the output tab in sound settings. But I see no such devide -- only speakers and headphones. Is there some package I need to install? I did run the "restore" function in the System 76 Driver after upgrading.
    -- David

Beans

Re: Lemur Ultra, 12.04: no HDMI device in sound settings

After a restart, I tried again and this time the HDMI device was there. So I selected it and it worked. No idea what caused the situation to change.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tried arandr -- available in the standard repository, and a useful alternative, especially if you're using a variant distro like Xubuntu. Among other things, it lets you "activate" HDMI. See http://www.ubuntugeek.com/arandr-a-s...or-xrandr.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink Re: Lemur Ultra, 12.04: no HDMI device in sound settings

Even I was having the same problem. The best method(that worked for me) was to update the entire OS, and then Restart the computer. I know this sounds a little stupid, but it did work for me, and even now, sometimes when I get the same problem, I follow the same procedure.

Hope this Helps!!

Beans

My current understanding is that while the video subsystem notices instantly when an HDMI device is connected or disconnected, the audio is not so smart. The OS has to be restarted to detect either transition. I think it's safe to consider this a bug, and I assume it will be fixed some time in the future.
    -- David

Beans

I guess it's time to write this up as a bug in launchpad, but I don't know what package it should be written against. Is it a kernel problem, an alsa problem, a pulse-audio problem, or something else? Again, I can get it to work, but only by restarting with the HDMI plugged in (which makes the HDMI show up in Sound Settings). Since the video subsystem obviously detects the HDMI immediately, the audio should as well.
    -- David