Thread: Is it possible to hibernate then resume on a different machine?

Beans

Is it possible to hibernate then resume on a different machine?

I know this is an awkward subject, but I have my system on an external drive that I boot from on two different desktops, one at work and the other at home. For me this is a better solution than using a laptop, because I need the extra CPUs and memory the desktops have. The only limitation is that if I put the system into hibernation on one machine, it's not possible to wake it up on the other; the resume process can tell the machine is different and defaults to a normal boot. I wonder if it would be possible to do any tweaking that would render the resume process tolerant to the change in hardware and allow the resume process to complete? Thanks for any input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is it possible to hibernate then resume on a different machine?

Quote Originally Posted by T. Amaral View Post
    I know this is an awkward subject, but I have my system on an external drive that I boot from on two different desktops, one at work and the other at home. For me this is a better solution than using a laptop, because I need the extra CPUs and memory the desktops have. The only limitation is that if I put the system into hibernation on one machine, it's not possible to wake it up on the other; the resume process can tell the machine is different and defaults to a normal boot. I wonder if it would be possible to do any tweaking that would render the resume process tolerant to the change in hardware and allow the resume process to complete? Thanks for any input.
    Only using Virtualization.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Re: Is it possible to hibernate then resume on a different machine?

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Only using Virtualization.
    Thanks. Actually some time ago I tried that using VirtualBox, by creating identical virtual machines on both computers and using raw disk access to my external drive. The performance seemed to remain very good. The main reason I dropped this solution is that I couldn't get the Guest Additions and Unity to work, but I'll look into it further.