Thread: Music Store - ???

Beans

Music Store - ???

Ok, so in protest against DRM I have gotten rid of my iPod. That was a year ago.

Ever since then, I have been ripping music off of youtube, most certainly illegally.

Now I have taken the time to look into purchasing legitimate tracks from Ubuntu One, and I cannot find any of the songs I search for, not even major artists!

I am in Toronto Canada, if that location has an impact on ubuntu 11.10/Banshee/Ubuntu One search results.

Here are the artists I searched for (all CAN be found on youtube) AND FOUND NOTHING:

• My Chemical Romance
    • "Kreesha Turner"
    • Muse
    • Coldplay
    • Linkin Park
    • Aerosmith
    • Black Eyed Peas
    • Arcade Fire
    • Chumbawumba
    • Christina Aguilera
    • Eminem
    • Kevin Rudolf
    • Maroon 5
    • Nelly Furtado (ok, like only 1 song available)
    • Natasha Bedingfield
    • Pink
    • Owl City
    • Rihanna
    • Smash Mouth
    • Owl City
    • Sting
    • Edward Maya
    • U2 (nothing for U2, man, thats when I said "fkuc it" and closed Ubuntu One Music Store)

Instead I get these kinds of results:

"Various Artists" with "Tributes to" (insert band name here)

Some Random Guy vs (insert name of band here)

"Piano Tribute Players"

"minipop kids"

7 Karaoke versions of (insert song here)

"String Tribute Players"

"Twilight Trio"

AND WHO THE FKUC IS VITAMIN STRING QUARTET???

I can't speak for others, but when I search for Uprising by Muse, I prefer the real song, and not "Twinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star - Muse: Lullaby Versions of Muse" Which might have been produced while the artist was on an LSD trip!

And this bad selection really does meet evil with "Bad Meets Evil (Eminem and Royce)" Which is the only result that came up while searching for Eminem.

And since I'm on a roll about music that nobody listens to, I actually found "Opus Sectrum" by M6, which I like, so I guess popular music is just not for sale at the music store.

(In general, the preview function does not play audio, but I don't care because I don't want to listen to any of that stuff)

I never thought I'd be banned from Ubuntu forums of all places, but this is worth the rant. So be it.
    Last edited by not found; May 6th, 2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: edited for language -

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Music Store - ???

I feel your pain. I have searched several times for specific songs and artists without luck. Then again I have found and bought several albums there too.

We can only hope in time the catalog grows. In the mean time there are other services and also still good old CD's.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums