Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HowTo: Change Mouse Cursor or Pointer Themes globally and persistently.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Change Mouse Cursor or Pointer Themes globally and persistently.

Quote Originally Posted by ohnonot View Post
    galternatives is a good one.
    Yes, Dennis' suggestion helped me get all aspects, pointer, insertion bar, hourglass in order. Even though every thing worked fine Unity 2D/3D, the Xfce session needed a fix with respect to the cursor/pointer.

Just one comment: Dennis mentioned using Advanced Settings (gnome-tweak-tool) to complete the Gnome side of things. I have it installed but couldn't find it easily in 4.10. I ended up running
    Code:
    gnome-tweak-tool
    from the terminal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ohnonot View Post
    galternatives is a good one.
    I agree. Faster. Uses the same commands behind the GUI, and avoid making a mistake in typing in the commands yourself.

However, knowing the use of the underlying commands does give you a better understanding on what is going on.

Beans
    Hidden!

i've changed my cursor theme with the methods described here. since then i changed window managers and display managers and start building my own session from scratch - the mouse cursor stays the same. great!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks.
    I'm using Debian Wheezy RC1 Xfce
    After changing the mouse theme in the settings menu I got the double standard.
    I created ~/.Xdefaults with just the two lines
    #
    Xcursor.theme: Chameleon-Pearl-Large
    Xcursor.size: 36
    #
    Look in /etc/X11/cursors for the cursors you have installed (just drop the .theme)
    After reboot the system is all the same mouse theme.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans

I figured it out, and thought i would share my methods.

First open a terminal, do these
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rebuntu16/other-stuff
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xfce-theme-manager

And then, before you open up xfce theme manager, go to your home folder, click view, show hidden folders, click .icons, put your cursor theme in there. Then open xfce theme manager, go to cursors, and it should show up. Reboot and voila.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by numberofthebeast92 View Post
    I figured it out, and thought i would share my methods.

First open a terminal, do these
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rebuntu16/other-stuff
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xfce-theme-manager

And then, before you open up xfce theme manager, go to your home folder, click view, show hidden folders, click .icons, put your cursor theme in there. Then open xfce theme manager, go to cursors, and it should show up. Reboot and voila.
    Hi numberofthebeast92,

I Installed this to check it out. It seems convenient because settings are within one window, you can save your collection of settings (didn't test), and there are theme previews.

But it gave me the same bad result when choosing the mouse cursor as using just the "Mouse and Touchpad" dialog under Settings.

That is, I was left with two different cursor themes depending on what the cursor is over. In Firefox or Libre Office windows, and even over my desktop the new one appears. Over the panels or window borders or in the file manager window, the old default cursor appears. Logged out and back in as well.

You would also still need to change the default cursor to your new one with "Alternatives Configurator" (galternatives) to get the same cursor everywhere.

Tested in Xubuntu 12.10

Beans

The reboot part was important, but ill say im on Linux Lite 1.0.6. May make a difference idk. Not saying its gonna work for everyone.
    Last edited by numberofthebeast92; October 10th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Beans

Hi, I did reboot too, and it didn't make any difference. Your Linux Lite system is behaving differently than Xubuntu if you don't see this problem. It may have some changes made by its developer to fix the issue. I think when I get some time I will download it and give it a test run.

Beans

Yea i mean i went through, Ubuntu 13.04, Fedora, Linux Mint 15, Debian, etc. and this one runs the best in my opinion. Very little resource usage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123