Thread: location of config files for gnome-system-log

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question location of config files for gnome-system-log

Hi,

I've tried googling for this, as well as searching the forum, but I think that the search terms that I am using are too generic to be helpful.

I am trying to locate the config file(s) for the Ubuntu 12.04 log file viewer. They should be somewhere in my home directory. The problem that I have is that some settings have been carried over from a previous version of Ubuntu where I monitored logs of some scripts that I do not use any more - this results in an error message every time the log file viewer is loaded up. The man entry for gnome-system-log isn't helpful as it only mentions a config file under /etc/ which wouldn't have been preserved through upgrades. So far, I have found entries for gnome-system log under both ~/.gconf/schemas/apps/ and ~/.gconf/apps/ but moving these directories elsewhere has no effect. Running find . -iname "*gnome*system*log*" fails to find anything relevant.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: location of config files for gnome-system-log

Likely in gsettings, though have done no upgrades here
    see screen for dconf-editor which is in the package dconf-tools, location is org.gnome.gnome-system-log

Or if wanting to set to default of 'none' from cli either of these, do the same thing

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-system-log logfiles  []
    Code:
    gsettings reset org.gnome.gnome-system-log logfiles
    Note: editing in dconf-editor is easy but may not be intuitive, -
    You highlight a key, then click in the edit area till it goes 'white'. then make your edit(s)
    To set keep the cursor in the edit box, press enter on the keyboard, don't click out or no change will be made
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; May 6th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you mc4man, that works perfectly!

Edit: I ended up using the terminal commands rather than dconf-editor, but thank you for introducing me to it.

Beans

Settings are being moved over to gsettings/dconf so using dconf-editor to explore when time permits is useful.
    Also once you see a few examples gsettings from cli is really alot easier than gconftool
    (man gsettings is also quite informative