Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no wireless in dell inspiron 1520 with 12.04

Beans

Talking Re: no wireless in dell inspiron 1520 with 12.04

Seems to be a very popular post - worked on my (newly) installed ubuntu. Many thanks

Beans

Re: no wireless in dell inspiron 1520 with 12.04

going to try this on my 1525 tonight. Glad to have such great help.

strange thing was when I originally installed 12.10 the wifi worked. after the built in update did its things the wifi didn't even show up.

*****update***** [[played to unsolved mystery theme music]]
    This thread fixed my problem as well. Great help! [:

I did have to gedit /etc/modules and add the line "b43" to make it take action on reboot. Just wanted to put that out there.
    Last edited by jerrt; December 4th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.

Beans

Wow, thank you very much for your help. I've tried to solve this problem in my Dell Inspiron 1525 in some different ways but I couldn't manage to turn on the wireless device. I was just wondering why the solution indicated throught Ubuntu (using the Additional Drivers functionality) didn't worked. Everytime I've tried to download and install the driver using that screen, I've got this error:“Sorry, installation of this driver failed. Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log.”

Thanks.
    Vitor Miranda.

Beans

I was unable to fix wireless network issue for several days. But these recommendations worked like a charm! Thanks for a good post.

Regards
    Linas Bartkevicius

Beans

Hi Im quite new to Linux and not really a programmer.
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on to a fresh hard disc on a Inspiron 1501 laptop.
    No matter what I do I can't seem to get the wireless network card to work and when updated the ethernet port doesn't even initialise.
    I have tried to repeatedly to move the b43 file to the lib/firmware directory with the terminal commands posted above.
    When I input the mv b43 lib/firmware command I get this output.
    mv: cannot move `b43' to `/lib/firmware/b43': Directory not empty

Does this mean that the file already exists at this location or does it mean the hardware is not responding.
    When I revert to an earlier distro I can get the Ethernet port working but on the update it doesn't see the port?
    I have spent several hours trying to get the wireless working and still no joy hence this post.

Beans

Hi Guys,

Today is fourth day when I try to turn on wifi on Dell insprion 1520. I've used file b43 and followed after instruction. I've reboot laptop a few times. When I've put "sudo modprobe b43" terminal was empty next 2 h and nothing happened. Whan can I do more? I'm new in Ubuntu - please help me? Cheers

Beans

done jupi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by J3rH8tr View Post
    Hi Guys,

Today is fourth day when I try to turn on wifi on Dell insprion 1520. I've used file b43 and followed after instruction. I've reboot laptop a few times. When I've put "sudo modprobe b43" terminal was empty next 2 h and nothing happened. Whan can I do more? I'm new in Ubuntu - please help me? Cheers
    Please post the output of the following after you have rebooted you pc (please use code-tags):
    Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release; uname -a
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    iwconfig
    rfkill list all
    lsmod
    dmesg | grep 'b43\|wlan'

Beans

Hello nm_geo,

thank you a lot for this advice!
    Even in 2014 this is still helpful!

Greetings,
    Sven

Beans

Oh god please help me!!!!

I also cannot get my wired internet going on my Dell Ispiron 1520 after I just updated to 12.04. I followed the instructions listed in this thread but I'm also have the error where it says "cannot move 'b43' to '/lib/firmware/b43': Directory not empty.

I rebooted the computer, copy and pasted this into terminal...

cat /etc/lsb-release; uname -a
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    iwconfig
    rfkill list all
    lsmod
    dmesg | grep 'b43\|wlan'

I then hit enter and it came up with a bunch of stuff, but nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong? Please help cause I've been trying to fix this all day!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast