Thread: Recommended way to install new themes in 12.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Recommended way to install new themes in 12.4

What is the recommended way to install new themes in Ubuntu 12.4? The Ubuntu web-site has nothing since 8.4! The wider web requires installing some 3rd party tool to muck around.

By the way I do not want to change my theme. But I have been told that is the only way to get Firefox to stop mangling web-sites because the new widget set does not have the same dimensions as the pre Gnome3 widget set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Recommended way to install new themes in 12.4

Install ununtu-tweaks, it makes it easy.
    Open a terminal and run these commands:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
    Run the program,select Tweaks=>Theme.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Install ununtu-tweaks, it makes it easy.
    Thank you.

I am uncomfortable with using a tool which I have to obtain from an outside repository in order to customize my desktop.

1. Some appropriately knowledgeable volunteer should update the Ubuntu web-site with the recommended procedure, since the web-site is currently four years out of date in a highly volatile technology.
    2. It would be appreciated if there were an official, integrated, technique for installing themes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jcobban View Post
    Thank you.

I am uncomfortable with using a tool which I have to obtain from an outside repository in order to customize my desktop.
    ununtu-tweak is a high quality, well maintained tool, it is safe.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Recommended way to install new themes in 12.4

I will second that. Tulatrix, the developer, is VERY dedicated, has a Twitter feed, and has been very responsive (even eager) to get bug reports, and fix them.

I was using the "experimental" version of Ubuntu-Tweak for a while, and have used the stable version for about 3-4 yeas, since the project was first announced.

Ubuntu-Tweak also includes a way of installing some recommended PPAs. THESE ARE SAFE. I have added others. Sometimes, (most of Ubuntu-Tweaks) are repositories maintained by the developer or team that first wrote the code. There is a team that provides updates and new editions of Transmission, the file-sharing app ( you can contribute to Ubuntu by sharing the latest version, it's completely legal). There is also a team that works on LibreOffice.

The advantage is that you can get newer versions and bug & security fixes quicker than waiting for the next release. Ubuntu has attracted a lot of very good people who are creating and adapting software.

Incidentally, I've never had a security problem with anything I've downloaded from a PPA.

Beans

I understand your hesitation, but I've got full faith in Ubuntu Tweak and I would not hesitate to recommend it.