Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel 3.6.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kernel 3.6.1

The Linux 3.6.1 mainline kernel is out now.

Works exceptionally well in GS! Will try Unity, next ...

Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Re: Kernel 3.6.1

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    The Linux 3.6.1 mainline kernel is out now.

Works exceptionally well in GS! Will try Unity, next ...
    what do you mean exactly?
    are you implying it works better than 3.5? If that's the case, would you specify which improvements did you notice?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sonnet View Post
    what do you mean exactly?
    are you implying it works better than 3.5?
    I upgraded from 3.6.0 --> 3.6.1

You never know what you'll get with mainline kernels, and I've only been running this for an hour and a half. However, my immediate impression is positive. This machine is acting V sprightly on 3.6.1.

I digress: Dailys are a real crapshoot. I quit installing them, a long time ago. I don't know why I'm telling you this, but it's yours for free. On topic...

Linux 3.6.0 was pulling-in part of Plymouth, which is always irritating... watching boot messages pop-up all over a faded, low-res purple screen. Plymouth is black @ boot, with 3.6.1, and black is beautiful, as they say.

I would swear that the display is sharper and faster now, although this is probably a placebo affect at play. I haven't cleaned my eyeglasses since last night, so that isn't a factor.

Guayadeque was flash crashing on me, with 3.6.0. Boom! Gone! Hasn't happened yet with 3.6.1. Maybe, I'll try some Dubstep.

Hate to say it but, GS is running circles around Unity. Sometimes it takes apps so long to load in Unity, that I *think* I didn't click them. So, I click them again, and again, and finally 2-3 instances pop-up. Or, I try to scroll a window in a browser, and it just sits there.

Basically, 3.6.1 *feels* faster, and more responsive than 3.6.0, and that's a good thing. But, GS now *feels* faster than Unity, which is a bad thing. LoL!

Anyway, give it a try, and see what you think. You can always go back to <whatever> kernel at the GRUB menu.

Beans

How did you install it ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I upgraded from 3.6.0 --> 3.6.1

You never know what you'll get with mainline kernels, and I've only been running this for an hour and a half. However, my immediate impression is positive. This machine is acting V sprightly on 3.6.1.

I digress: Dailys are a real crapshoot. I quit installing them, a long time ago. I don't know why I'm telling you this, but it's yours for free. On topic...

Linux 3.6.0 was pulling-in part of Plymouth, which is always irritating... watching boot messages pop-up all over a faded, low-res purple screen. Plymouth is black @ boot, with 3.6.1, and black is beautiful, as they say.

I would swear that the display is sharper and faster now, although this is probably a placebo affect at play. I haven't cleaned my eyeglasses since last night, so that isn't a factor.

Guayadeque was flash crashing on me, with 3.6.0. Boom! Gone! Hasn't happened yet with 3.6.1. Maybe, I'll try some Dubstep.

Hate to say it but, GS is running circles around Unity. Sometimes it takes apps so long to load in Unity, that I *think* I didn't click them. So, I click them again, and again, and finally 2-3 instances pop-up. Or, I try to scroll a window in a browser, and it just sits there.

Basically, 3.6.1 *feels* faster, and more responsive than 3.6.0, and that's a good thing. But, GS now *feels* faster than Unity, which is a bad thing. LoL!

Anyway, give it a try, and see what you think. You can always go back to <whatever> kernel at the GRUB menu.
    Thanks for your detailed reply.
    I'm currently on 3.5 (kubuntu) and your comment made me very curious.
    Actually this latest kubuntu build which I have installed, is going extremely well.
    Finally a *buntu distro boots up in 10-15 seconds on my pc as it should have done already in the past.
    So I want to keep this configuration for now, for better testing. But surely I'll try the 3.6.x for 2-3 days, before going for the final installation.
    I'm just waiting to see a non-beta fgrlx for the distro (along with the Libreoffice issues, which I think will be solved very shortly), see that there are no problem and then install.

Beans

I'm still wondering what is the correlation between a kernel (3.6 in this case) and a desktop environment (gshell or unity).

They do not talk to each other neither share any resources.

btw nice setup VinDSL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    I'm still wondering what is the correlation between a kernel (3.6 in this case) and a desktop environment (gshell or unity).

They do not talk to each other neither share any resources.

btw nice setup VinDSL
    Thanks, lucazade!

I don't really understand the correlation either, nor why one kernel works better or worse than another.

Why does Plymouth (somewhat) work with one mainline kernel, but not the next? I've never seen Plymouth fully work on any of them.

Maybe it has something to do with the way they were compiled, e.g. built. Who knows?!?!?

I've been running GS all day (and all night). I guess I should go try Unity...

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hey, 3.6.1 is a bug fix release, explaining better experience

and i'm surprised it only use 260 Mib ram with gnome-classic, thats very low

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by geolab View Post
    How did you install it ?
    I just use a "shotgun" approach. It's very simple...

Using Linux 3.6.1 as an example:

• Download the binaries from:

(In my case, I downloaded the 3 files ending in _i386.deb & the 1 file ending in _all.deb, e.g. 4 files total.)

• Place these 4 .deb files in a folder, all by themselves.
    • Open a terminal (command line interface [aka CLI]).
    • Navigate (change directory) to the folder containing the 4 files.
    • Install them using "dpkg". I simply use: sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    • If all goes well (and it usually does)... reboot.
    • If all does not go well, fix the problem(s) before rebooting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    hey, 3.6.1 is a bug fix release, explaining better experience

and i'm surprised it only use 260 Mib ram with gnome-classic, thats very low
    Did you install gnome-shell/classic on top of a command line installation, or are you running it on top of the desktop (with all unity..) installation?
    It should make a substantial difference

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast