Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brightness control for 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Brightness control for 12.04

Hey everyone, is there a solution yet for brightness control on Macbook Pro/Air yet for 12.04? I cannot for the life of me get it working with the NVIDIA drivers.
    Where is the Love?

Beans

Re: Brightness control for 12.04

It's working great here on a MacBook Pro 6,2 using the recommended version of the Nvidia drivers (Nvidia-current).

Just before I upgraded to 12.04 yesterday from 11.10, I had an issue after an update to the Nvidia drivers, which resulted in the brightness not working (full power all the time) which continued after the upgrade to 12.04.

I then removed all traces of the Nvidia driver and deleted the xorg.conf file. After a reboot I re-installed the nvidia-current driver and ran nvidia-xconfig. Since then I haven't had any issues.

Beans
    Distro

Ill try doing that, as I did the same thing. Installed the latest NVIDIA drivers. Could you write a small step-by-step for me, just so I dnt miss anything?
    Where is the Love?

Beans

No Problem.

First back up your current xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    Then run the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    dpkg-query -l  'nvidia*' | grep ii
    This will find all nvidia packages installed. Mine gave the following output:
    Code:
    ii  nvidia-common                                  1:0.2.44                                      Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
    ii  nvidia-current                                 295.40-0ubuntu1                               NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    ii  nvidia-settings                                295.33-0ubuntu1                               Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    I know that Ubuntu desktop depends on nvidia-common, so DON'T delete that!. But based on my output I would then run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    It will first tell you which packages it will remove. Ensure that no unexpected packages will be removed.
    The above command will remove the nvidia drivers including config files.

After this, reboot the computer (or restart X) to ensure that everything is safely uninstalled.
    Then remove the xorg.conf file, to ensure that the Nvidia configuration don't use this as a base:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    After this run the following command to install the Nvidia drivers:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    And then run the following command to create the xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Reboot, and enjoy a working setup

It can probably be fixed much easier, but this is the steps I used. Also be aware that you could risk loosing your graphical environment if you're doing something wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheDane View Post
    No Problem.

First back up your current xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    Then run the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    dpkg-query -l  'nvidia*' | grep ii
    This will find all nvidia packages installed. Mine gave the following output:
    Code:
    ii  nvidia-common                                  1:0.2.44                                      Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
    ii  nvidia-current                                 295.40-0ubuntu1                               NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    ii  nvidia-settings                                295.33-0ubuntu1                               Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    I know that Ubuntu desktop depends on nvidia-common, so DON'T delete that!. But based on my output I would then run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    It will first tell you which packages it will remove. Ensure that no unexpected packages will be removed.
    The above command will remove the nvidia drivers including config files.

After this, reboot the computer (or restart X) to ensure that everything is safely uninstalled.
    Then remove the xorg.conf file, to ensure that the Nvidia configuration don't use this as a base:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    After this run the following command to install the Nvidia drivers:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    And then run the following command to create the xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Reboot, and enjoy a working setup

It can probably be fixed much easier, but this is the steps I used. Also be aware that you could risk loosing your graphical environment if you're doing something wrong.
    AWESOME! I'll give this a try when I get home, I thought it was going to be something like this, but I would of probably deleted the NVIDIA-Common(Been out of the Linux game for about 2 years, until recent). Thank you!
    Where is the Love?

Beans

You're welcome.

If you by accident include nvidia-common, you would see that it would try to uninstall ubuntu-desktop as well. As explained, if it tells you that it will install other things than what you have specified, you definitely should ensure that it's not some vital packages....

After removing the drivers and rebooted, you can also re-install them by using the additional drivers program, and select it from that. You still however still need to run nvidia-xconfig afterwards to have the xorg.conf file configured.

Beans
    Distro

You're welcome.

If you by accident include nvidia-common, you would see that it would try to uninstall ubuntu-desktop as well. As explained, if it tells you that it will install other things than what you have specified, you definitely should ensure that it's not some vital packages....

After removing the drivers and rebooted, you can also re-install them by using the additional drivers program, and select it from that. You still however still need to run nvidia-xconfig afterwards to have the xorg.conf file configured.
    That I do remember, I used to be a Hard core debian user, till I had to stop a bit as my job required a Windows environment. But now they have UNIX support I'm moving back to a Linux/Mac multi
    Where is the Love?

Beans
    Distro

Just tried it, didnt work my friend :/
    Where is the Love?

Beans

And the nvidia driver is the active one? (run nvidia-settings. it will complain if that's not the driver used).

Below is my xorg.conf, if it's of any use (notice that the lines "Option "Coolbits" "1"" & "Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1;" is not necessary. They are just to ensure that the GPU run in powersave mode)

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 295.40  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-06.nvidia.com)  Thu Apr  5 22:40:54 PDT 2012

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier     "Default Screen"
    	Device         "Device0"
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    	Driver         "keyboard"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier     "Mouse0"
    	Driver         "mouse"
    	Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    	Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    	Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    	Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    	# generated from default
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier     "Device0"
    	Driver         "nvidia"
    	VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
    	Option  "Coolbits" "1"
    	Option  "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x3"
    EndSection
    Edit: Noticed that I have been pretty lazy when I originally edited my xorg.conf file. So it references a default layout, screen keyboard and mouse, which I removed, but the system haven't complained )

Beans
    Distro

And the nvidia driver is the active one? (run nvidia-settings. it will complain if that's not the driver used).

Below is my xorg.conf, if it's of any use (notice that the lines "Option "Coolbits" "1"" & "Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1;" is not necessary. They are just to ensure that the GPU run in powersave mode)

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 295.40  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-06.nvidia.com)  Thu Apr  5 22:40:54 PDT 2012

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier     "Default Screen"
    	Device         "Device0"
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    	Driver         "keyboard"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier     "Mouse0"
    	Driver         "mouse"
    	Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    	Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    	Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    	Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    	# generated from default
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier     "Device0"
    	Driver         "nvidia"
    	VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
    	Option  "Coolbits" "1"
    	Option  "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x3"
    EndSection
    Edit: Noticed that I have been pretty lazy when I originally edited my xorg.conf file. So it references a default layout, screen keyboard and mouse, which I removed, but the system haven't complained )
    I saw a different entry for the keyboard drivers. I modified it to match your settings, rebooting now.

EDIT: Nope :/
    Last edited by Hatsune Miku; May 5th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
    Where is the Love?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast