Thread: Nvidia gt540m Driver

Beans

Nvidia gt540m Driver

I just got my new Asus a53s laptop two days ago and of installed ubuntu 12.04 because I knew it would work with my wireless card right out of the box (I usually use 10.04). It works fine with my wireless card but installing my graphics driver is a pain, I always get an error saying that Nouveau kernel drivers are installed. Nvidias help document said to black list the driver and I did that and reboot. However, I continue to get the same error its really starting to **** me off I just want to use my laptop... Anyone know how to remove Nouveau? I have already un-installed it and everything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Nvidia gt540m Driver

Hey, if your GPU is supported, this may help you. It's a copy-paste from a video of mine.

1st: Open Terminal and run "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates"

2nd: Then run: "sudo apt-get purge nvidia*"
    (to remove any unneeded nvidia packages that could interfere with the setup)

3rd: After that in the terminal type:
    "sudo apt-get update"
    then
    "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current"

4th: After it downloads the latest drivers and installs them, go to your Update Manager, refresh updates and get any Ubuntu-X team updates(then run "sudo nvidia-xconfig"), then restart.
    If followed correctly your NVIDIA drivers should work perfectly.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Axxon95; May 5th, 2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Spelling Fix
    Performance Build: i5 2500, 8GB, GTX 460 v2
    Old Build: Intel P4 3.0GHz HT 533 MHz, 2.5GB 400MHz, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB AGPx8
    R.I.P: GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit, you served well.

Beans

Re: Nvidia gt540m Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Axxon95 View Post
    Hey, if your GPU is supported, this may help you. It's a copy-paste from a video of mine.

Hope it helps.
    HI,

I followed the steps precisely and eventually when I restarted the only resolution available is 800x600 and I can not see top menus or sidebars. I am newbie with Ubuntu so not sure what do I need to do to restore my previous settings?

Thank you in advance.