Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 upgrade broke everything :(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

12.04 upgrade broke everything :(

Recently I was notified to upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 in the update manager, so I did.

After a long download, it began installing but at around 40 minutes left, my screen went black and nothing would respond other than the mouse cursor. I left it there for an hour thinking it was just installing still... but nothing happened and the hard disk didn't seem to be moving.

I rebooted the PC and it began start up but on the screen where "Ubuntu" with the loading dots beneath it would usually show, it would just have the purple-ish screen with nothing else.

I rebooted again and it gave me the option of booting into different versions of Linux. I went to previous versions and picked the most recent, before the update and it seems to work but a lot of the settings are messed up. I've got different looking icons and such. Also I'm running dual screen so the side bar is only meant to be on my left (primary) monitor but now it's on both monitors... and prevents my cursor moving between screens correctly.

The version I picked was Kernel Linux 3.0.0-19-generic but this seems different to how it actually was back then.

Additionally, a lot of stuff isn't working. No internet connection, it's not detecting my network at all. Colours seem off... bunch of stuff.

After another reboot, it says I'm in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. All my settings have been wiped so that's going to take a fair bit of time to update, additionally this side bar problem and no network issues still remain.

What do I do to fix this? o.o
    Last edited by Drowz0r; May 4th, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
    CPU
    : Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4
    RAM: 8 GB | HDDs: SSD 64GB + 1T HDD x2 | Power Unit: 750 W
    GFX: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 2048 |
    Display: 4:3 (5:4 res) 19" Dual Screens

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.04 upgrade broke everything :(

Ok after several reboots it seemed to start working again. Still have the double side bar thing, see below:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5...m201205042.png

Also some of my Steam Games no longer launch.
    CPU

Beans

It sounds to me like you may have run into issues in the middle of the upgrade. Can you boot into recover mode? Basically, I want you to get to the terminal any way you can.

When you have access to the terminal, try:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    this should continue configuring any packages you've downloaded that haven't finished. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Just a few seconds late; glad you are able to reboot again. If above doesn't solve your problems that still exist, let us know.
    Last edited by alyons3537; May 4th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alyons3537 View Post
    It sounds to me like you may have run into issues in the middle of the upgrade. Can you boot into recover mode? Basically, I want you to get to the terminal any way you can.

When you have access to the terminal, try:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    this should continue configuring any packages you've downloaded that haven't finished. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Just a few seconds late; glad you are able to reboot again. If above doesn't solve your problems that still exist, let us know.
    Hey. Thanks for your reply. I run that command and nothing happens:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/...ng&res=landing

Also I just noticed when taking the screenshot, for some reason my kolour paint looks like this:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg205...ng&res=landing
    CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

have you tired to continue the upgrade it seems and sounds a lot like many files never got loaded to install or something

Code:
     sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade -f
    the thing I am noticing most about the upgrade other then the already known bugs is that you should disable all the extras before running the update go back the driver basics as much as you can for the upgrade and then in stall stall when its all finished and updating and stuff is done ..

packages are depacking and installing some what out of order so you start hitting depenacy issues and things start to cascade down hill from there and lock up or it will complete with so much missing people look and surrender and just go full new install ..
    Last edited by jadtech; May 5th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Managed to reboot and keep checking for updates until something worked. It seems to have updated a bunch of stuff but this stays in my update centre:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg190...ng&res=landing

It seems most of my games work in wine again now but one won't launch and gives this error:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4...m201205050.png
    CPU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jadtech View Post
    have you tired to continue the upgrade it seems and sounds a lot like many files never got loaded to install or something

Code:
     sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade-f
    the thing I am noticing most about the upgrade other then the already known bugs is that you should disable all the extras before running the update go back the driver basics as much as you can for the upgrade and then in stall stall when its all finished and updating and stuff is done ..
    Hello there

Thanks for your reply. I ran

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    with no due updates, so I ran:

Code:
     sudo apt-get upgrade-f
    And I get:

Code:
    drowz0r@Prime:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade-f
    E: Invalid operation upgrade-f
    CPU

Beans
    Distro

your not a alone in this for sure there are many who had these issues for sure , the command failed because there was no space between upgrade and -f

sorry that was a typo on my part

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f
    you can use all these codes if there is nothing it will tell you nothing uploaded nothing installed nothing removed or it will contiune to complete what unfinished ..
    Last edited by jadtech; May 5th, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jadtech View Post
    your not a alone in this for sure there are many who had these issues for sure , the command failed because there was no space between upgrade and -f

sorry that was a typo on my part

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f
    you can use all these codes if there is nothing it will tell you nothing uploaded nothing installed nothing removed or it will contiune to complete what unfinished ..
    Sorry, I'm only about 6 months into Ubuntu after about 10 years on Windows XP, I probably should have noticed the missing space!

Some files did seem to update then. Not many, about 8 or so, I'll do a reboot and see what happens.
    CPU

Beans
    Distro

you might find its still not completely back how ever it only takes one or two files not installed or configured to make a big problem ..

just so you know in the end if you decide to do a fresh install you can still get files with Live CD by mounting you home or rot directory and doing copy and paste if you boot with CD you cane copy Mucic piture documents and such to a flash drive ...

you have been at it with Ubuntu longer then me I have only been using this about going on 3 months but I have used linux since 97 off and on mostly red hat and mostly web servers and tehn mostly logged in them from outside installing and updating pages .. once the server was running tried to leave it alone as much as possible
    Last edited by jadtech; May 5th, 2012 at 01:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast