Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four Consecutive Asterisks Aren't Allowed?

Beans

Four Consecutive Asterisks Aren't Allowed?

Take it to the resolution center You have been told once to take issues you have with staff actions to the resolution center. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123 Staff do not know whether asterisks have been caught by the profanity filter or were posted as asterisks. But that is beside the point. Filling a post with **** whether intentionally or filtered is inappropriate in my opinion. Please respect the fact that staff have enough to do without having a continuing conversation via PM. Either take it to the resolution center where an admin will look at your issue or leave it. Thank you.
    Re: There was no profanity in the message I typed, just four sequential asterisks Quote: Originally Posted by SemiExpert I didn't violate forum rules in any respect. I typed in 4 asterisks in sequence. Profanity wasn't used, profanity wasn't suggested, or implied, and the asterisks in question were intentional. I demand that you replace the removed post. Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesA Dear SemiExpert, You have received a warning at Ubuntu Forums. Reason: ------- Inappropriate Language Hello, Please keep in mind this is a family friendly forum and even though the forum software censors some words, try to get your point across without using profanity. Thanks, Charles ------- Original Post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11905165 Quote: Quote: Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post Sh*t happens It does when it's a **** product, in a **** big box store, staffed by a bunch of ****heads. On the plus side, my local **** Club has a great returns policy, so I can always get my money back on a defective piece of ****. Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow. All the best, Ubuntu Forums Hi, Keep in mind this is a moderated forum and posts may be edited/removed/moved: Quote: Finally, you agree that forum staff have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time they see fit following the guidelines outlined below. You agree that the staff of this forum have the right to send a private message with a warning and/or censor any forum user who is in violation of forum policy. If you have a problem with the action of a moderator, you are free to take it up in the Resolution Center. Thanks, Charles __________________ My philosophy - use whatever works for you, be it *nix, OSX or Windows. | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide "Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care. I'm still free, You cannot take the sky from me." CharlesA is online now Forward Message Reply With Quote
    Since when are four consecutive asterisks against forum rules? I was accused of profanity, when the asterisks were indeed intentional, and not the result the forum filter. I demand an apology, that moderation polices be uniformly applied, and that the post in question should be replaced. CharlesA has acted in a manner that is not appropriate to the role of moderator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Four Consecutive Asterisks Aren't Allowed?

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness, gentleness and respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    Staff asked you not to use the Asterisks and tried to explain why. I see no reason for your demand.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.

Staff asked you not to use the Asterisks and tried to explain why. I see no reason for your demand.
    So why is the asterisk a forbidden symbol? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk CharlesA's actions are not supported by forum rules, and his accusation is entirely false. If the moderators cannot ascertain between an intentional use of the asterisk and the automatic substitution of the forum filters, they should refrain from accusations agains forum members.

Beans

As an example of how I've been unfairly targeted, this usage of an asterisk is apparently appropriate:http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...55&postcount=9. And it is clear this member of Ubuntu Forums Staff apparently feels that the usage of a single asterisk is appropriate and responds playfully: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=12 So my use of four consecutive asterisks is considered inappropriate, but the usage of single asterisk is within bounds? So, the term "sh*t" is appropriate but "****," or 4 intentional asterisks isn't? And yes, I hit shift+8 four times, intentionally. It wasn't the forum filter. So why am I being targeted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In the context of your post appeared to use words that were filtered. In that context I agree with the staff actions.
    As referenced before
    Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct
    Profanity: We have users of all age groups and of all tolerance levels where profanity is concerned. A language filter is in place to catch most major forms of profanity that may accidentally be used. Do not attempt to circumvent the language filter by using variations or slight misspellings of profanities.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    In the context of your post appeared to use words that were filtered. In that context I agree with the staff actions.
    As referenced before
    Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct
    Again, I used four consecutive asterisks, voluntarily, and not as a means circumventing a language filter. Four asterisks are four asterisks. It was not an attempt to circumvent a filter, or a misspelling. It should be very clear that "Sh*t happens," might be rightly construed as misspelling, but that post wasn't removed, it was commented on, playfully, by another moderator. In my case, I simply used four asterisks, or "****." By all appearances, one moderator accepts the usage of the term "sh*t" by another poster and CharlesA vindicatively targets me for intentionally using "****?" Why am I being singled out?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SemiExpert View Post
    So, the term "sh*t" is appropriate but "****," or 4 intentional asterisks isn't? And yes, I hit shift+8 four times, intentionally. It wasn't the forum filter. So why am I being targeted?
    No, none of those things are appropriate. We only filter inappropriate words / language here so it is reasonable for people to fill **** with various 4 letter inappropriate words.

You are trying to take the symbols, '****' , out of context, and thus your confusion.

When you put symbols into the context of the culture of these forums it becomes obvious why your posting style is inappropriate.

IMO we have explained the issue to you now several times, both here and via polite PM from staff. You are free to disagree with the staff on this decision, but we feel we have met our obligation to warn you before we start to penalize you for bad behavior.

It would be most helpful if you would keep your posts family friendly so we do not have to issue penalties.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    No, none of those things are appropriate. We only filter inappropriate words / language here so it is reasonable for people to fill **** with various 4 letter inappropriate words.

You are trying to take the symbols, '****' , out of context, and thus your confusion.

When you put symbols into the context of the culture of these forums it becomes obvious why your posting style is inappropriate.

IMO we have explained the issue to you now several times, both here and via polite PM from staff. You are free to disagree with the staff on this decision, but we feel we have met our obligation to warn you before we start to penalize you for bad behavior.

It would be most helpful if you would keep your posts family friendly so we do not have to issue penalties.
    So please clarify? How many asterisks are appropriate on this forum?

Beans

So please clarify? How many asterisks are appropriate on this forum?
    Since edit isn't enabled, I should have asked how many consecutive asterisks are allowed by forum staff? We need specificity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Since edit isn't enabled, I should have asked how many consecutive asterisks are allowed by forum staff? We need specificity?
    It has been explained. In the context you posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast