Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - Now charging for DVD Playback

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Windows 8 - Now charging for DVD Playback

Quote Originally Posted by Thehumorouscheese View Post
    I don't think people will really buy it as there are so many free alternatives, some of which are far better than windows media center.
    Seriously. I've used Windows Media Center a couple times to play DVDs from my library but otherwise I either use Media Player or VLC.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What sort of horrible company/OS would do such a thing?
    Oh wait
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Oh wait
    Hahaha. I had forgotten about that.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SemiExpert
    It's really not better for the consumer in any sense. That's just a marketing line. As far as the precedent of Windows 7 Starter edition, Microsoft's decontenting of the much ridiculed Starter edition did a lot to undermine the netbook sector, to the detriment of all Windows PC OEMs. Granted, netbooks invariably lacked optical disk drives, but the very fact that Microsoft will be selling DVD/Bluray playback in the form of this extra cost pack indicates that they expect to derive profit from this exercise in decontenting. More money for less functionality. It's a losing scenario for the consumer, but also for Microsoft's real customers, the Windows PC OEMS.
    It is a losing deal for OEMs. If it changes Microsoft's overhead on sales of the system, then it could be a good deal for consumers. We don't in fact know if it will be more money for less content.

Windows 7 Starter was a ridiculous price grab, yes. Features were actively removed to make the OS unusable, and while use of an external optical drive with a netbook is somewhat uncommon and although that may have saved Microsoft on some codec licenses, there's no defending the gimped video driver and fixed wallpaper. Windows 8's lock-in to the Windows Store for Metro apps is also a ridiculous restriction that hurts consumers and OEMs for Microsoft's benefit. But to be fair, optical drives are going out of fashion, so the reasoning for that one feature still holds.

I also meant only sarcasm in saying that Microsoft was attempting to "educate" consumers. However, there's a side benefit in that they will, in fact, be doing so with this decision. I'd like people to know what they're paying for. It's exactly the opposite of the obfuscation that Microsoft excels in, and I'd really like to see them start seeing end users as the consumers again, instead of OEMs, because that relationship is exactly the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

really, who use wmp these days.
    there are so many better alternatives that are free.
    They must be feeling the pinch
    yes i'm a nood

Beans

I watch my movies on my tv where they belong but if I didn't and I happened to be using windows I would be using vlc anyway.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I don't intend to move from Win7 to Win8 any time soon, but if I do, I'll just use VLC for dvd playback (or, yanno, use my bluray player instead).
    That's what I was going to say. There's always VLC.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Oh wait
    A one that is is giving you the choice , same as Ubuntu , load what you like ,, possible a step in the right direction as far as MS is concerned ,,

Incidental , as what do they provide at default is more important , will you be looking at a blank sceen wondering what to do next... does any one know?
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Ok, so how is this any different from every previous release of Windows?

There's not been one single release which INCLUDED a DVD codec. NOT ONE! I've installed and used Windows 3.1, 3.11, WinNT 4, Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, Win2K, WinXP, WinVista, and Win7, and none of them had it. To which version of Windows, exactly, are you folks referring?

I've ALWAYS had to add something (back in the day, commercial DVD playback software) or an open-source product (of much more recent memory, VLC which includes DeCSS) and I can't see why that would change now.

As for people "learning" from non-inclusion, the masses couldn't care less, and the masses -- being Microsoft slaves -- will put up with anything Microsoft does because they're not going to change to anything else.

Some Linux distros include a DVD codec, and Apple has included one ever since they started shipping DVD drives in Macs circa 1995-6. So yes, it's true that Microsoft is the "odd man out" here, but it's never stopped people from buying their products before.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Good. I welcome Microsoft's decision to educate users on the nature of nonfree codecs and anticipate an appropriately reduced purchase price. The precedent was set with Windows 7 Starter Edition, which didn't include DVD decryption. This is the better route for the consumer, because the necessity of DVD playback depends on the hardware and the user, not the version of the operating system.
    I have to agree with this as well.

But then again, I am against software patents all together.
    That said and since we still have patents on software, dont see a reason anyone should have to pay for something that they dont use.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast