Thread: Messed up package system , Synaptic not opening , cannot remove any packages

Beans

Messed up package system , Synaptic not opening , cannot remove any packages

t seems I have messed up all of the package installation system in ubuntu. This was the error it appeared on my system first. I was unable to open synaptic then-->
    Code:
    E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
      E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    Then as answered in the forum [http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...tatus-155478/][1] I executed the following commands..
    Code:
    mv /var/lib/dpkg/status __/var/lib/dpkg/status_bak
    cp /var/backups/dpkg.status..gz __/var/lib/dpkg/
    gunzip -d /var/lib/dpkg/dpkg.status..gz
    mv /var/lib/dpkg/dpkg.status. __/var/lib/dpkg/status
    apt-get update
    After this the first error messege stopped even though synaptic was not opening.But now I m not able to uninstall any packages even if they are installed..
    For eg: when i try to uninstall vlc ,it shows
    Code:
    ajith@ajith-pc:~$ sudo apt-get remove vlc Reading package lists...   Done Building dependency tree        Reading state information... Done   Package vlc is not installed, so not removed 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Can anyone please help?

Beans

Re: Messed up package system , Synaptic not opening , cannot remove any packages

Run a sudo apt-get update in the terminal and post all the readout. Your link is also dead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Messed up package system , Synaptic not opening , cannot remove any packages

Quote Originally Posted by 2ta8gdfte View Post
    Run a sudo apt-get update in the terminal and post all the readout. Your link is also dead.
    Link isn't dead, he just typed it in wrong. Remove the "]" at the end.

amamban, have you tried this: http://ihaveapc.com/2011/05/how-to-f...-ubuntu-11-04/. The comments says it worked.

EDIT: also it says it's for 11.04, but it will other versions as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2ta8gdfte View Post
    It is updating cache properly.
    No errors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    Link isn't dead, he just typed it in wrong. Remove the "]" at the end.

amamban, have you tried this: http://ihaveapc.com/2011/05/how-to-f...-ubuntu-11-04/. The comments says it worked.

EDIT: also it says it's for 11.04, but it will other versions as well.

it is to fix MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists.That is not the problem with me.Nevetheless,I had tried it.It was of no use.The problem persisted.