Thread: Strange sticky keys issue

Beans

Strange sticky keys issue

I've been having a weird issue with the keyboard and/or certain keys on my new Gazelle laptop. This exhibits in the following fashion:

In a browser, I press ctrl-fn-down to switch tabs. Rather than just switching to one tab per one down key click, it quickly flashes through many tabs and only stops when I let go of all the keys. I then only need to press the ctrl key to make the browser switch through all the tabs. Pressing a bunch of other keys makes it stop.

This doesn't happen every time, only some of the time. But it also happens for application switching with alt-tab and other key combinations.

This laptop is less than a week old. Nothing has been spilled on the keyboard.

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Strange sticky keys issue

Quote Originally Posted by kingbanditjing View Post
    I've been having a weird issue with the keyboard and/or certain keys on my new Gazelle laptop. This exhibits in the following fashion:

In a browser, I press ctrl-fn-down to switch tabs. Rather than just switching to one tab per one down key click, it quickly flashes through many tabs and only stops when I let go of all the keys. I then only need to press the ctrl key to make the browser switch through all the tabs. Pressing a bunch of other keys makes it stop.

This doesn't happen every time, only some of the time. But it also happens for application switching with alt-tab and other key combinations.

This laptop is less than a week old. Nothing has been spilled on the keyboard.

Thanks for the help!
    Does the key physically stick down, or does it pop up afterwards?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

It doesn't physically stick, only effectively does a pagedown continue to be triggered, regardless of the application switched to.

Further encounters with this bug looks like it's mainly (or only) with the page down functionality.

Beans

After messing with this more it's actually easily replicable. One out of every three or four presses of ctrl-fn-up or ctrl-fn-down will result in the page up or page down key remaining.

This exhibits in two ways, further presses of ctrl-fn by themselves will trigger the next tab functionality in browsers and terminals (the issue exhibits across applications). Also, the tab brought to focus will be paged up/down immediately with no additional keys pressed.

Let me know any other questions, thanks!

Update: Just pressing fn-up or fn-down will occasionally cause the page up/down to stick. The up/down keys do not stick by themselves however, only when in conjunction with the fn key.
    Last edited by kingbanditjing; December 11th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does it happen if you run Ubuntu from a Live Disk? If so, then you likely have a BIOS or hardware problem, and we'd need to bring it in.

If not, then a reinstall would have it fixed in less than 20 minutes.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!