Thread: how to get modern ubuntu to run on old arch (i586)

Threaded View

Beans

Help! How to get modern ubuntu to run on old arch (i586)

Hi,

I have some embedded device that is using a Vortex86MX CPU (at 1GHz), it have 1 GB of RAM so it should be sufficient to run Lubuntu 12.04 LTS (it currently runs Ubuntu 9.04).

Unfortunately, Canonical dropped support for i586 processors till version 10.10 (from both kernel and gcc build it seems). As a result the new Lubuntu 12.04 LiveCD won't start on this machine. The problem is that this processor is lacking the cmov instruction support.

I'd like to know which steps I will need to ba able to run modern ubuntu on this processor.
    I'm aware I will need to recompile the kernel changing the config to support i586 processor family.
    But I guess I need too to recompile GCC and so all the packages I'm using, right ?

I will do the whole needed rebuild on a stronger i686 as host, using Lubuntu 12.04, but what I really don't know is where to start... Do I need to rebuild a new GCC targetting i586 on the host before to rebuild the kernel ? Or should it be the kernel first, then GCC, etc...
    I'm really lacking some knowledge on how to achieve this so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by jimmikaelkael; May 3rd, 2012 at 06:39 PM.