Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else can't leave well enough alone?

Beans

Anyone else can't leave well enough alone?

I love linux but because there is so much choice I just can't leave well enough alone. I get debian xfce running great and then I think to myself "maybe I should dualboot with xubuntu and remove all the crap I don't want to see what is faster". Then I decide maybe I should just upgrade to testing or sid. Part of me still wants to try an arch install from the ground up. Is anyone else like me who can't leave well enough alone?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Anyone else can't leave well enough alone?

Nah, those days are over for me. I've installed countless distros and DE's in the past, and have had my fill. I may occasionally fire up Vbox to try something new, but other than that I have no desire to use anything else than what is on my laptop. (12.04 Unity) But if that's your thing, go for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I love linux but because there is so much choice I just can't leave well enough alone. I get debian xfce running great and then I think to myself "maybe I should dualboot with xubuntu and remove all the crap I don't want to see what is faster". Then I decide maybe I should just upgrade to testing or sid. Part of me still wants to try an arch install from the ground up. Is anyone else like me who can't leave well enough alone?
    lol, completely understand your dilemma There has to be some other combo or distro faster, shinier and smoother then the one currently installed. Maybe I should test Mint? What about Fedora with gnome shell? No let me install Chakra those screenshots looked awesome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I do that, but within a standard Ubuntu install. I recently got the list of Shell extensions I can't live without down to eight, there are little tweaks and adjustments scattered through the Metacity, GTK, and Shell themes I use, I have a set of a few core apps that I use on a daily basis that I constantly switch out, I copy .desktop files to my user account and modify them to run apps under the conditions I want as default, and I generally waste hours to save a few seconds here and there.

There's so much weird crap in my dotfiles that using anything like a default install is alien to me.

Beans

Arch is a easy install using the beginners guide, worth trying I think, was for me, it is a nice OS.
    Last edited by 2ta8gdfte; May 3rd, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2ta8gdfte View Post
    Arch is a easy install using the beginners guide, worth trying I think, was for me, it is a nice OS.
    yes its easy to install.
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans

I don't understand why if you have Debian XFCE4 running `great` as you say; that you would feel the need to try bloated Xubuntu?

Obviously Xubuntu's slower, it doesn't make much sense.

I run Debian with XFCE4; it can't possibly be any faster, everything's instant and works great.

The question why to try Xubuntu is mind-boggling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    lol, completely understand your dilemma There has to be some other combo or distro faster, shinier and smoother then the one currently installed. Maybe I should test Mint? What about Fedora with gnome shell? No let me install Chakra those screenshots looked awesome!
    Well, yeah, Chakra is nice!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

*Raises hand* Well maybe not so extreme, I stay inside the Debian world and actually inside the Ubuntu world for my own machine. Since going *buntu (nearly) fulltime I switched between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and back and even made a strange move from 11.04 to 10.04 Just because Lucid Lynx has some strange appeal Never used the same version and DE for more than 6 months. And within the installation I find it hard to leave the theming alone. Switching themes for various stuff is so easy in KDE.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mmmbopdowedop View Post
    I don't understand why if you have Debian XFCE4 running `great` as you say; that you would feel the need to try bloated Xubuntu?

Obviously Xubuntu's slower, it doesn't make much sense.

I run Debian with XFCE4; it can't possibly be any faster, everything's instant and works great.

The question why to try Xubuntu is mind-boggling.
    xfce 4.10 without running sid. I guess i'll just wait for it to come out. I figured ubuntu and debian would be virtually the same if i followed this guide http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast