Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 fubar after Ubuntu update and boot-repair

Beans

Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 fubar after Ubuntu update and boot-repair

Hello folks,

First and foremost I apologize for being the newbie whose first post is similar to others found on here. I did browse the sticky and a couple other posts, however taking bits and pieces of advice from random forums without understanding everything I was doing led me to my current problem.

Background:

I am an average/slightly above average windows user and a novice linux user. I understand the basics of linux but a lot of the terminology is still new to me.

I've had Win 7 installed on my SATA internal drive on this machine for about 5 months. 1-2 months ago I decided to play with linux but was weary of the partition process so I split an external 2TB drive in two and installed 11.10 on it.

Because I'm not really familiar beyond the basic concepts of MBR and GRUB I dual booted my machine but in a less then smooth fashion. I set my BIOS to boot first from my external drive (Ubuntu) and then my internal drive (Win7). This way I could turn on my external if I wanted to boot linux, and if I wanted windows I would simply leave the external off during the boot sequence. It never worked flawlessly but I could successfully boot into it and run Ubuntu. Some days it was all I would use.

My problem:

So a few days ago I booted into Ubuntu and was prompted to update to 12.04. I clicked away.. why not?
    The update seemed to go smoothly, no noticeable errors. Upon reboot it said that there was no operating system present or something to that effect. I rebooted into Win 7 and read up on the error. Forum posts were talking about it not being a big deal and to use boot-repair on it. I rebooted again and used my Ubuntu 11.10 thumb drive to use boot-repair. After I did and successfully(?) repaired it I rebooted.

Ubuntu 12.04 was found but I did notice something new. It was giving me messages about it taking a long time to mount certain drives. If was listing a few partitions on a separate internal drive so I skipped them. Ubuntu 12.04 loaded up and it immediately saw the partitions it claimed not to anyway. I messed around with 12.04 a bit and the few personal files I had were still there and accessible.

I decided I wanted to connect my Kindle to Win 7 and put some music on it since Ubuntu said it couldn't mount it. I rebooted the machine and it now said the same thing on my Win7 install, that there was no OS found. Thing is when using boot-repair I went exploring the advanced options and I now remember listings regarding MBR and windows boot. I think I messed with one too many settings and now I can't boot into Windows or Ubuntu regardless of any BIOS settings. While I don't claim to fully understand grub and boot loaders in general I do understand the basic functions. It's my assumption that something happened on both drives and now the boot loader/s are missing/corrupt/etc and not pointing to the installed OSs.

A few things..
    Windows boots directly to Windows Error Repair. Nothing I do in there helps. I can run a command prompt but it's been so long (win 3.1) since I've messed with command prompt I wouldn't even know what commands would be helpful. As in other posts I get mentions of "GPT partition style" which I'm not familiar with what this is. Also when I try to auto repair the boot it says "Failed to save start up options" and at some point mentions a missing 1mb partition I think?

Weapons in my arsenal:
    Flash drive with Ubuntu 11.10 installed on it (it's how I'm on the Internet now and how I initially installed Ubuntu)
    Windows 7 install disc (I've booted from this and can't fix boot)
    Windows 7 backup on my external (it's an image from mid March, I don't want to use this unless totally necessary, I will loose personal files from the time in between and no saying that this will fix anything. I'm still convinced it's just a boot loading problem.)

I'm sorry for the epic story. I figure everyones story is unique and perhaps someone can help me shed some light on this. I can stand to lose and reinstall the Ubuntu, Win 7 however has a lot of the wife's homework.. /gulp

If there are any reports I can run and post please let me know. Huge thanks in advance.
    Cheers!

Beans

Re: Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 fubar after Ubuntu update and boot-repair

I am new to 'very new' to Linux as well.
    I hope someone has an answer, I'd like to read more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 fubar after Ubuntu update and boot-repair

Unfortunately it won't be the easy to recover.. Basically Ubuntu has hosed you and lots of other people (including myself) with the update to 12.04.

To get back to your Windows working, I'd suggest you download and burn Hiren 15.1 CD.. It has partition tools that can remove grub (which is what Ubuntu probably did and screwed you over in the process) edit grub and redo your MBR.

If you have the Windows 7 Boot CD, you can boot into the command prompt of it and there are commands that will allow you to rewrite the MBR.. These are all over the web and on the ms support site.. At least you'll be able to run Windows 7..

Ciao
    Umm.. Yeah what he said..

Beans
    Distro

Lets not jump into conclusions what will be easy or difficult to recover.

First of all, first chance you have, create another usb stick (or the same one) with 12.04. You should always have a copy of the system you are running, since best repairs are done with the same version.

Having said that, 11.10 will do for a start.

You can follow the link in my signature to run the boot info script, but since you had already used boot-repair it might be easier to do it that way. Boot-repair has a button to run the boot info script and will give you a link to the results. Post that link here so we can see what is where.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Thanks for getting back to me. I do not have 12.04 on a flash drive, but I do still have the 11.10.
    I'll see about getting the log from the boot-repair. Just wanted to respond to let you folks know I'm still looking for help.

Cheers

Beans

Is this what we are looking for?

http://paste.ubuntu.com/970180/

Beans
    Distro

I guess you ran the script with the external disconnected because it's not shown.

You are using gpt table on your disk, and EFI boot. At least it seems so.

I think there is a bug in grub2 when you are trying to use a dual boot, and it overwrites the windows boot files on the efi system partition.

On top of that it seems there is a broken grub2 on /dev/sdb.

You should be able to fix your windows boot but you have to boot the windows disc in EFI mode too, not in the older type BIOS mode. Refer to your board manual if you need help with that, I have very little experience with EFI. That should make your windows work independently of the external disk.
    Darko.

Beans

So sorry! just noticed that.. oops

here it is again with external on

http://paste.ubuntu.com/970268/

Beans
    Distro

With the external connected, and a 12.04 cd in live mode, install grub2 to /dev/sdd (your ext disk):
    sudo mount /dev/sdd5 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --rot-directory=/mnt /dev/sdd

That will take care of the bootloader for the ext disk.

You will still need to run the win7 dvd in EFI mode and repair the boot. Since you use EFI boot for windows, you need to boot the dvd in EFI mode too.

On the other hand, the installation of ubuntu seems for normal boot, so I am bit puzzled how are you actually booting your computer.
    Darko.

Beans

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into this EFI thing since I'm not familiar with what you re talking about.

Also when I do boot from the Win7 disc it says it detects problems but can't solve anything because the Win7 recovery mode doesn't see my SATA drive to initiate the repair. Perhaps the EFI thing you are talking about will help out? I'll look into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast