Thread: Adjust BIOS for Linux?

Beans

Adjust BIOS for Linux?

Been reading around, and was wondering if this still applies (or if indeed it ever applied):

'For the install of a Linux distro´s we will have to change the BIOS settings.
    Most important changes are:
    1) The value for ¨PnP aware OS¨ has to be set to ¨NO¨'

http://www.brunolinux.com/01-First_T..._Settings.html

It doesn't seem to be mentioned here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...ios-setup.html

I ask because i'm still having issues with linux installs on my main machine.

Also, if i do make any specific changes to my BIOS to suit linux, will it impact on my Win7 boot badly?

TIA for any help on this

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Adjust BIOS for Linux?

Wow, both of those links are very old. Why are you following advice written for Ubuntu 8.04 ?

Needless to say, I have never seen anyone needing to change BIOS settings as described in either link.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

other then changing boot order if your computer is not set to boot cd/dvd and USB first there is no changes that need to be made to bios though it is always wise to check and make sure your computers bios are up to date and current ..

there always was and still is to some degree many myths and tales about linux mostly out of fear of the unknown , fear of the shell and terminal prompt , many use to say the only reason anyone used linux was to hack and write and spread viruses ..
    Last edited by jadtech; May 2nd, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Beans

Ah, thanks folks!
    Luckily, i hadn't acted on any of the above, thinking it prudent to ask on here first.

Thanks again