Thread: Setup Simple Mail Relay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Setup Simple Mail Relay

Hi All!

I'm trying to find some information on setting up a simple mail relay server using Ubuntu.

We have a multi-function printer at our offices that doesn't support TLS/SSL and unfortunately we've just moved providers and they require at least SSL.

The costs of upgrading the printer to support SSL as just far too much and after some reading believe that a simple Mail relay server would suffice.

What I'm hoping is that someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to set up a mail server that will accept incoming messages from this one device, and retransmit them to our mail provider using the SSL encryption.

I've read a number of tutorials on setting mail servers but a lot of them focus on setting them up as actual mail servers, not relays.

Any help/pointers/tutorials would be most helpful.

Many thanks in advance,
    Richard.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Setup Simple Mail Relay

While Postfix is the default MTA for Ubuntu, I think sendmail is a better solution for a simple mail relay.

First, install a copy of Ubuntu server on some clunker machine in your office. It doesn't need much horsepower at all; even a 486 with 256 MB of RAM would suffice. Now we're going to replace Postfix with sendmail:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge postfix
    sudo apt-get install sendmail
    Next go to the /etc/mail directory and edit (as root with sudo) the file sendmail.cf. You need to change three lines in that file. First, find the line that begins with "DS" and add the name of the relay host immediately thereafter:

Code:
    # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
    DSyour.mail.provider.com
    Note that there's no space between "DS" and the hostname.

Next, you'll need to remove the limitation that sendmail listens only to the localhost interface. Find the two lines that read:

Code:
    O DaemonPortOptions=Family=inet,  Name=MTA-v4, Port=smtp, Addr=127.0.0.1
    O DaemonPortOptions=Family=inet,  Name=MSP-v4, Port=submission, M=Ea, Addr=127.0.0.1
    and delete the ", Addr=127.0.0.1" from the end of each line. Sendmail will then listen on all interfaces.

Now restart sendmail with "sudo service sendmail restart".

The only remaining issue is how to route mail to this box for relaying. I take it you don't want all the mail to go through here, just the messages you described. (I'm not really clear how this relates to the printer, but we'll leave that up to you.) Give the box a hostname like "relay.yourdomain.com" and add an A record entry to your internal DNS for it.

Let's do a bit of testing before moving on. Run "telnet relay.yourdomain.com 25" and you should be the sendmail banner in reply. Let's suppose that you're sendmail a message From testing@yourdomain.com to printer@relayhost.com. Follow these steps to test your configuration. The entries you type are in bold:

Code:
    $ telnet relay.yourdomain.com 25
    [stuff]
    220 relay.yourdomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.4/8.14.4/Debian-2ubuntu2; Wed, 2 May 2012 1ing access from: localhost(OK)-localhost [127.0.0.1]
    ehlo hostname.of.sending.machine
    250-relay.yourdomain.com Hello hostname.of.sending.machine [ip.of.sending.machine], pleased to meet you
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-PIPELINING
    250-EXPN
    250-VERB
    250-8BITMIME
    250-SIZE
    250-DSN
    250-ETRN
    250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
    250-DELIVERBY
    250 HELP
    mail from:testing@yourdomain.com
    250 2.1.0 testing@yourdomain.com... Sender ok
    rcpt to:printer@relayhost.com
    250 2.1.5 printer@relayhost.com... Recipient ok
    data
    354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
    testing testing testing
    250 2.0.0 q42JroEC005697 Message accepted for delivery
    quit
    221 2.0.0 relay.yourdomain.com closing connection
    We're almost done, but I need to know a bit more about how mail is configured within your office. Do you have an existing mail server? Can it be configured to route mail by domains? If so, tell it to send mail for the offsite provider that requires SSL to the relay box and handle all other mail the way it does now. If you can't get this configured properly, ask me again, and we'll set up the relay box to handle routing.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 2nd, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@SeijiSensei: many thanks for getting back to me with such a detailed response; I really appreciate it.

I've not had chance to implement it as of yet, but will give it a try later on and see where I get to.

In response to your questions:

• The printer needs an SMTP server address, login and password to send the email; these are manually entered into the printer settings.
    • There is no internal mail server on the network. Our mail server is in the cloud. In essence the printer makes a connection using the settings above to connect to the relay server which in turn relays the message to the cloud based server for "processing"

I hope this answers your questions, but if not, just let me know and I'll try and provide some more information.

Many thanks again, and I'll let you know how I get on with the instructions you've provided already.

-Richard

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi badman

While Postfix is the default MTA for Ubuntu, I think sendmail is a better solution for a simple mail relay.
    Seiji advice is impeccible as ever. Even though I've mostly used sendmail, with great success over the years, it has to be said the maintenance of the configuration can be tricky. Here's the alternative with postfix, if you wanted to try that too.

I tested it by telnet at Amazon Web Services, relaying through Google's gmail servers to an account at Yahoo. For your application, I'd use an old box in the corner, Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS server.

Get the software:
    Code:
    apt-get install -y postfix
    You'll get a choice: use "Satellite"

• Choose any sensible hostname, perhaps "printerfriend.example.com"
    • Choose your external "real" email gateway, perhaps "smtp.myisp.com"

Then edit /etc/postfix/main.cf, here in full, with my edits in red.

Code:
     # See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

# Debian specific:  Specifying a file name will cause the first
    # line of that file to be used as the name.  The Debian default
    # is /etc/mailname.
    #myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
    biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
    append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
    #delay_warning_time = 4h

readme_directory = no

# TLS parameters
    smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
    smtpd_use_tls=yes
    smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
    smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache
    smtp_tls_security_level = encrypt

# See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for
    # information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

myhostname = ec2-46-137-57-105.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
    mydestination = ec2-46-137-57-105.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com, localhost
    relayhost = [smtp.gmail.com]
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes  
    smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_passwd  
    smtp_sasl_security_options =
    #mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
    mynetworks_style = subnet
    mailbox_size_limit = 0
    recipient_delimiter = +
    inet_interfaces = all
    Put a password in the relay_passwd file:

Code:
    smtp.gmail.com username@gmail.com:plaintextpassword
    Cook the map and restart:
    Code:
    sudo postmap /etc/postfix/relay_passwd
    sudo /etc/init.d/postfix restart
    Test just like Seiji says. You might care for a fuller message to check the from and to addresses show up
    Code:
    data
    To: Whoever <whatever@yousaid.com>
    Subject: Scan 1234

Hello
    Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
    Jonathan.
    Last edited by Jonathan L; May 3rd, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by badman3k View Post
    The printer needs an SMTP server address, login and password to send the email; these are manually entered into the printer settings.
    Then give the printer the relay box as its SMTP server. I would think the login information is optional, no? It's possible to set up an SMTP server that requires a login, but it's not mandatory. The solution I suggested doesn't require a login.

Why isn't it possible simply to point the printer to your current off-site SMTP server?