Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Beans
    21
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    Anyone else getting this? I've had it freeze on me while sitting at the main menu, and also when seeking backwards in Live TV.

    This is with Nvidia/VDPAU, but I'd be surprised if that affected the main menu.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    Happening to me. Fresh install, using the 'slim' option. Frontend hard drive thrashes for awhile, then after a certain amount of time it stops. I can't do anything during it to troubleshoot once it starts, so it must be a real-time process that's taking over...?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Beans
    3,239

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick27 View Post
    Happening to me. Fresh install, using the 'slim' option. Frontend hard drive thrashes for awhile, then after a certain amount of time it stops. I can't do anything during it to troubleshoot once it starts, so it must be a real-time process that's taking over...?
    logs?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    logs?
    I do believe most of the traffic is writing to the ext4 journal (based on iotop), but I don't see anything unusual in the log files.

    EDIT: It actually seems to be reading a tremendous amount of data in the mythfrontend.real --syslog local7 process.
    Last edited by Patrick27; May 5th, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    While I can't confirm this works completely yet, after some repeated testing I've found that turning off realtime priority threads has made things much better for me (in brief testing).

    I'll report back in a day or so..

    EDIT: This did not solve the problem.
    Last edited by Patrick27; May 26th, 2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: An update to an incorrect assumption.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    282

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    I've run into similar symptoms with 0.25 on 10.04 LTS. The thread for that is
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974121
    Last edited by andrewc6l; May 22nd, 2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: updated to correct thread

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Beans
    3,239

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc6l View Post
    I've run into similar symptoms with 0.25 on 10.04 LTS. The thread for that is
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1190909
    wrong thread i think.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick27 View Post
    While I can't confirm this works completely yet, after some repeated testing I've found that turning off realtime priority threads has made things much better for me (in brief testing).

    I'll report back in a day or so..
    No better with the most recent version, and I still don't have enough data to pin down the problem to anything. It seems unrelated to the backend, but the frontend just cranks away, reading something from the disk.

    The realtime priority threads didn't fix the problem.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Beans
    21
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: Frequent frontend lockups since upgrade to Precise/0.25

    I think I've got it.

    The last thing in the frontend log I see upon discovering a freeze is mythweather trying to pull down some weather data. I uninstalled the mythweather plugin, and I haven't had a freeze since.

    EDIT: 4 days now and no lockups. Looking good.
    Last edited by geoffp; June 3rd, 2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: new info

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •